Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Make me whole
I'm so easily seduced by the aura of Whole Foods. It's just so nice and clean and full of exciting new things all in pretty packages. Just walking into that store makes me feel prettier and healthier and...well, more wholesome. In an effort to save money, I try to keep myself from shopping there on a regular basis, but I have a feeling this could become more difficult after this evening, when I discovered that the items I purchased were at prices comparable to what I would pay at my usual grocery store. Mangoes were on sale for 99 cents (the mango selection at my grocery store here is crap, so I have no idea what the comparison is, but that's how much they used to cost at Publix) (sniff, Publix), and Puffins (I've taken a short hiatus from the granola) were actually $1.50 less than they are at my other store.
I guess it's probably a good thing that the store isn't located closer to my apartment. It's only a couple of miles away, though, so I generally like to ride my bike there, just so I can really get the full Whole Foods feel-good experience. Although I guess if I were getting the real experience, I'd arrive not sweaty and disheveled in gross clothes and with helmet hair, but fresh as a daisy in some impossibly expensive but elegantly casual cotton skirt, and my bike would not be some cheap thing I picked up on Craigslist, but rather an authentic vintage Italian cruiser with a wicker basket, into which I would place my organic vegetables and herbs and perfect, crusty loaf of bread before riding off into the countryside to prepare a healthy yet delicious gourmet feast.
Ah well, at least I've got a bike. I had to ask for a plastic bag at the check-out so it would ride well on my handlebars, but I felt like such a poser doing so. I at least felt a little better when I was walking back out to my bike and I saw a girl pull into the parking lot in her huge-ass Land Rover. Talk about a poser. But maybe she got paper bags to make up for her not-so-environmentally friendly choice of transportation.
I'm so easily seduced by the aura of Whole Foods. It's just so nice and clean and full of exciting new things all in pretty packages. Just walking into that store makes me feel prettier and healthier and...well, more wholesome. In an effort to save money, I try to keep myself from shopping there on a regular basis, but I have a feeling this could become more difficult after this evening, when I discovered that the items I purchased were at prices comparable to what I would pay at my usual grocery store. Mangoes were on sale for 99 cents (the mango selection at my grocery store here is crap, so I have no idea what the comparison is, but that's how much they used to cost at Publix) (sniff, Publix), and Puffins (I've taken a short hiatus from the granola) were actually $1.50 less than they are at my other store.
I guess it's probably a good thing that the store isn't located closer to my apartment. It's only a couple of miles away, though, so I generally like to ride my bike there, just so I can really get the full Whole Foods feel-good experience. Although I guess if I were getting the real experience, I'd arrive not sweaty and disheveled in gross clothes and with helmet hair, but fresh as a daisy in some impossibly expensive but elegantly casual cotton skirt, and my bike would not be some cheap thing I picked up on Craigslist, but rather an authentic vintage Italian cruiser with a wicker basket, into which I would place my organic vegetables and herbs and perfect, crusty loaf of bread before riding off into the countryside to prepare a healthy yet delicious gourmet feast.
Ah well, at least I've got a bike. I had to ask for a plastic bag at the check-out so it would ride well on my handlebars, but I felt like such a poser doing so. I at least felt a little better when I was walking back out to my bike and I saw a girl pull into the parking lot in her huge-ass Land Rover. Talk about a poser. But maybe she got paper bags to make up for her not-so-environmentally friendly choice of transportation.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]