Thursday, November 03, 2005

Sick-o
I'm one of those people who pride themselves on never getting sick. Sure, I'm victim to the occasional head cold (usually averaging one a year), but it's never anything that can't be fended off with a couple Nyquil and a glass of vino. I've been working since I was 18, and I've never once taken a sick day. Until the unfortunate incident that was New Year's Eve 2003, I hadn't thrown up in 11 years. In high school, when my entire OM team got sick right before a big competition (when we'd been spending night after night in each other's company), I somehow managed to escape unharmed. Once, I drank out of the same straw as Diana at Sonic shortly before she came down with a vicious 24-hour bug. The next night, I stayed in bed watching movies, just waiting for it to catch up with me. By about 3 a.m., I realized it wasn't going to (and I celebrated by walking around a graveyard in the middle of the night with Kate and Austin, then going to Austin's sketchy basement apartment, where we sat on his matress on the floor and listened to the song he wanted played at his funeral...but that's neither here nor there). All told, I have a pretty kick-ass immune system.

So it makes sense that I would want to brag about it. However, every time I do, I hear a little voice in the back of my head saying, "No! Don't do it! You'll just jinx yourself!" Usually, I just tell that voice to shut the hell up already, but I've always known that one day, my faith in my top-notch immune system would come back to bite me in the ass.

I think that day is today.

My office has been struck with a sickness. I'm not quite sure of the nature of this mysterious sickness; I only know that it's sending my co-workers (particularly the ones who work in my little corner of the office) home in droves. This afternoon, a co-worker came back from a business trip, and I overheard another co-worker explaining to her why all the people who sit near us had suddenly disappeared. During her explanation, she happened to mention her own great immune system that keeps her from being susceptible to office sicknesses. So of course I have to pipe up with, "I'm the same way!"

This evening when I got home, I suddenly noticed that I was exhausted and sort of achy. I was both hot and cold at the same time, and my stomach was feeling a little queasy. I may not get sick often, but I know what sick feels like.

And I definitely feel sick.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]