Saturday, May 21, 2005
The Whoa.C.
Hey, if Josh Schwartz can turn the name of his show into stupid puns, then I can, too. I finally got to watch The O.C. finale last night (I had to tape it on Thursday night to attend Danielle's good-bye dinner...sniffle), and may I just say: wow. If the last two episodes are any indication, The O.C. is no longer to content to just phase out its secondary characters; it's now killing them off. And not a moment too soon, it seems--this is exactly what this mostly lackluster (save Peter Gallagher's Lyle Lovett cover) season needed to redeem itself. I only wish the show had tried this tack earlier--say, with Alex or Lindsay or, better yet, D.J. the robotic yard guy.
I must also give props to the promo department for an excellent fake-out (making us think Marissa was going to be the shootee when she was in fact the shooter) and for resisting the temptation to slap one of those tacky "You can't miss the last five minutes!" phrases on it. (At least I think they resisted. I know there was one finale promo that had one of those, but I believe it was Desperate Housewives.) All in all, an excellent finale--granted, it was no Season 1 finale, but this was no Season 1. And in my opinion, there's not much that can surpass the Season 1 finale anyway.
Hey, if Josh Schwartz can turn the name of his show into stupid puns, then I can, too. I finally got to watch The O.C. finale last night (I had to tape it on Thursday night to attend Danielle's good-bye dinner...sniffle), and may I just say: wow. If the last two episodes are any indication, The O.C. is no longer to content to just phase out its secondary characters; it's now killing them off. And not a moment too soon, it seems--this is exactly what this mostly lackluster (save Peter Gallagher's Lyle Lovett cover) season needed to redeem itself. I only wish the show had tried this tack earlier--say, with Alex or Lindsay or, better yet, D.J. the robotic yard guy.
I must also give props to the promo department for an excellent fake-out (making us think Marissa was going to be the shootee when she was in fact the shooter) and for resisting the temptation to slap one of those tacky "You can't miss the last five minutes!" phrases on it. (At least I think they resisted. I know there was one finale promo that had one of those, but I believe it was Desperate Housewives.) All in all, an excellent finale--granted, it was no Season 1 finale, but this was no Season 1. And in my opinion, there's not much that can surpass the Season 1 finale anyway.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]