Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The most amazing thing I saw last night on The Amazing Race
Jonathan and Victoria have to go on Dr. Phil! And not just regular Dr. Phil, a Dr. Phil primetime special! Granted, this was not actually part of The Amazing Race itself (which was rather blah, and nothing that happened this week makes a damn bit of difference, so...whatever), but rather a commercial during The Amazing Race. But still: Bwahahahaha! I wonder if this was mandated by CBS after everything that happened on the show, or if it's just a lame attempt by Jonathan and Victoria to prolong their totally undeserved 15 minutes of fame. I'm hoping it's the former, but I fear it's actually the latter.

While we're on the subject of commercials, file this under something I never thought I'd see: L.L. Cool J in a commercial for Caress. But oh my God, I had forgotten how hot that man is. Kristen, you totally should have tried out for American Idol in Cleveland, because he was handing out hugs like it was going out of style. (And so what if you're married? If your husband can go on so many reality shows, you can at least get a little lovin' from L.L.)

Also: There's a new commercial for one of our local grocery chains (Publix, which is still where I do my grocery shopping, despite this unfortunate incident) that has me reeling with disbelief. In the commercial, a boy (probably around 8 or 9) comes home and asks his mom to help him bake a cake from scratch. Together, they bake this really yummy-looking heart-shaped marble cake. As they're baking, she asks him all these questions about the girl they're making the cake for, but he gives her a bunch of really vague answers. The next day, she drops him off at school, and he runs out of the car without the cake. The mom is like, "Hey, you forgot your cake!" And the kid just turns around and gives her this knowing look, and she's, like, totally touched. And I am like, "YEAH, RIGHT."

OK, first of all, there is no way a boy of that age would have the forethought to come up with such a plan, at least not by himself, as we're led to believe this kid does. Not that I know that many 8- or 9-year-old boys, but the last time I saw my cousin (about a year ago, when he was almost 7), his favorite activity was pretending to be a goat and head-butting my sister and me at every possible opportunity. (Actually, this is still a favorite pastime of his, according to my sister, who saw him this summer.) Anyway, I have a hard time believing that the same kid (or any kid his age) would come up with such a sensitive and thoughtful mom-appreciation gesture.

Second, I have a hard time believing that anyone who attempted this plan, regardless of age or gender, would leave the big reveal until they were in the car at school. I mean, why not just tell her at home, when you finish making the cake? It seems a bit cruel to me to make the mom cart the cake all the way to school when you know she's just going to have to take it back home again.

Finally, I can't help but notice that the mom has not wrapped the cake in plastic wrap or a similar protective covering for its journey to school. It's just sitting out there on the plate. I ask you, what kind of mom does not wrap a cake in plastic wrap when taking it somewhere? Not a very good one, which suggests to me that perhaps she didn't even deserve the cake in the first place.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]