Friday, December 18, 2009
Nice try, but no
Crate and Barrel has a series of ads in the Metro right now that feature a shot of an opened Crate and Barrel gift (a cappuccino maker, shiny plates, throw pillows) next to a person reacting ecstatically (screaming with joy, kissing one's spouse, embracing one's child) to said gift. And I'm sorry, but no. Crate and Barrel is a perfectly fine store if you need, say, some white dishes or a gray sofa. In fact, pretty much the whole premise of the store is that it's a place to stock up on the basics--otherwise they probably would've called it something less utilitarian than "Crate and Barrel." It is not, however, the kind of place where you can buy a gift that would inspire such an exuberant reaction. I refuse to believe that anyone could summon that much excitement about throw pillows, and I say that as a person who really likes throw pillows.
So what kind of gifts do inspire such an ecstatic reaction? Try the water bottle Holly gave me the other night, which she had custom-printed with my roller derby name and my team logo. I actually screamed with glee and hugged her after I pulled it out of the box. Take that, Crate and Barrel.
Crate and Barrel has a series of ads in the Metro right now that feature a shot of an opened Crate and Barrel gift (a cappuccino maker, shiny plates, throw pillows) next to a person reacting ecstatically (screaming with joy, kissing one's spouse, embracing one's child) to said gift. And I'm sorry, but no. Crate and Barrel is a perfectly fine store if you need, say, some white dishes or a gray sofa. In fact, pretty much the whole premise of the store is that it's a place to stock up on the basics--otherwise they probably would've called it something less utilitarian than "Crate and Barrel." It is not, however, the kind of place where you can buy a gift that would inspire such an exuberant reaction. I refuse to believe that anyone could summon that much excitement about throw pillows, and I say that as a person who really likes throw pillows.
So what kind of gifts do inspire such an ecstatic reaction? Try the water bottle Holly gave me the other night, which she had custom-printed with my roller derby name and my team logo. I actually screamed with glee and hugged her after I pulled it out of the box. Take that, Crate and Barrel.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]