Sunday, January 06, 2008
Nothing comes between me and my Calvins
I can only remember one time in my life when I had any sort of emotion about the brand of jeans I was wearing. It was in sixth grade, and we were in Sunday school, and everyone was going around and naming brands of jeans that were cool and uncool. (I seem to remember this being part of the lesson, although I have no idea how it possibly could have related to God and/or Jesus.) Anyway, the brand of jeans I wore (Lee) was called out as being uncool, and I was deeply, horribly embarrassed. Not that I didn't continue to wear Lee jeans for the rest of middle school, but I was horrified to learn that something as innocuous as jeans now represented another tally in the ever-growing column of my uncoolness.
Still, although I may not have wanted to admit it, I'd read enough teen magazines to know what the cool brands of jeans were before it was spelled out in Sunday school: Guess, Pepe, Levi's. In other words, jeans that were way too expensive for my mom to ever buy for me. But on top of all of those, there was the unreachable pinnacle of jean coolness: Calvin Klein. I remember my entire church camp being abuzz sometime in late elementary or early middle school over Abby Galbraith's white cutoff Calvin Klein jean shorts. Rumor had it that Abby come into possession of these shorts by stealing her mom's white Calvins and hacking into them with a pair of scissors. I couldn't imagine such audacity, as my mom had recently read me the riot act for cutting the feet out of an old pair of heart-printed white tights.
Given the impression that Calvin Klein jeans had made on my young mind, when I walked into the Calvin Klein outlet yesterday evening with Autumn, I certainly never expected to actually find, for only $40, the skinny jeans I'd been looking for to tuck into my new boots. In other words, for $10 more than I've been paying for crappy Old Navy jeans all these years, I could've been wearing Calvins. Now, I know this was the outlet, but still. Have Calvin Klein jeans always been this inexpensive, and I was just too young and stupid to realize it? (I am, after all, the same girl who once told her friends in third grade that she still believed in Santa Claus because there's no way her parents could afford a mini trampoline.) Or is it just that Calvins aren't as cool now as they were in 1989? Whatever. All I know is, the sixth grader inside of me is very excited about her cool jeans.
I can only remember one time in my life when I had any sort of emotion about the brand of jeans I was wearing. It was in sixth grade, and we were in Sunday school, and everyone was going around and naming brands of jeans that were cool and uncool. (I seem to remember this being part of the lesson, although I have no idea how it possibly could have related to God and/or Jesus.) Anyway, the brand of jeans I wore (Lee) was called out as being uncool, and I was deeply, horribly embarrassed. Not that I didn't continue to wear Lee jeans for the rest of middle school, but I was horrified to learn that something as innocuous as jeans now represented another tally in the ever-growing column of my uncoolness.
Still, although I may not have wanted to admit it, I'd read enough teen magazines to know what the cool brands of jeans were before it was spelled out in Sunday school: Guess, Pepe, Levi's. In other words, jeans that were way too expensive for my mom to ever buy for me. But on top of all of those, there was the unreachable pinnacle of jean coolness: Calvin Klein. I remember my entire church camp being abuzz sometime in late elementary or early middle school over Abby Galbraith's white cutoff Calvin Klein jean shorts. Rumor had it that Abby come into possession of these shorts by stealing her mom's white Calvins and hacking into them with a pair of scissors. I couldn't imagine such audacity, as my mom had recently read me the riot act for cutting the feet out of an old pair of heart-printed white tights.
Given the impression that Calvin Klein jeans had made on my young mind, when I walked into the Calvin Klein outlet yesterday evening with Autumn, I certainly never expected to actually find, for only $40, the skinny jeans I'd been looking for to tuck into my new boots. In other words, for $10 more than I've been paying for crappy Old Navy jeans all these years, I could've been wearing Calvins. Now, I know this was the outlet, but still. Have Calvin Klein jeans always been this inexpensive, and I was just too young and stupid to realize it? (I am, after all, the same girl who once told her friends in third grade that she still believed in Santa Claus because there's no way her parents could afford a mini trampoline.) Or is it just that Calvins aren't as cool now as they were in 1989? Whatever. All I know is, the sixth grader inside of me is very excited about her cool jeans.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]