Monday, November 19, 2007

Most expensive. Hot chocolate. Ever.
What follows is the tale of how I spent $40 on a cup of hot chocolate.

OK, except not really. It's more like the tale of how I was supposed to leave this one little town in northwest Connecticut at 11:00 to drive an hour to the Hartford airport in order to catch a 1:30 flight home, only at 10:30, I decided that I absolutely had to have another cup of hot chocolate from this divine Belgian chocolate shop in another little town in northwest Connecticut, which was at least 30 minutes in the opposite direction and therefore added a good hour onto my travel time to the airport, which, when combined with the fact that I also decided to take a shortcut that turned into a long-cut thanks to stoplights and traffic and lots of two-lane roads with slow speed limits, and additionally got a little lost in downtown Hartford, meant that I arrived at my gate six minutes after the plane was supposed to depart and they wouldn't let me on. Which means that in addition to the $4 that I actually paid for the hot chocolate, I also had to pay $36 to upgrade my ticket so I could get on the next flight. So there you go; $40 cup of hot chocolate.

But let me just say that if ever there were a cup of hot chocolate worth $40? This would be it. It was the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted. It might be the best anything I've ever tasted. If ever you find yourself in or near Kent, Connecticut, you simply must stop by Belgique for a cup of this hot chocolate. You will not be sorry. Even if you miss your flight and have to pay a $36 upgrade fee.

Anyway, if this does indeed count as the most expensive cup of hot chocolate ever, then the dinner I had later that evening with Autumn would probably win the prize for most expensive dinner ever, coming in at around $550. Although again, the majority of that was not spent on food, but rather on a post-dinner purchase of plane tickets to London over President's Day weekend. We'll only be there from Saturday morning until Monday evening, but by my count, that's plenty of time to do all the things I want to do, including shopping on Oxford Street, eating an omelet and chips at the West End Kitchen, having a drink at Cafe Society and, with any luck, tracking down Tim, my crushworthy former English professor. Cheers!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]