Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits into this empty place in your heart"*
Last time, I wrote about a song that captivated me even though it came into my life at exactly the wrong moment. But there's also something to be said for those songs that enchant you precisely because they seem to fit your life so well. At City Stages in Birmingham a few years ago, when I first heard Rachael Yamagata sing, "I'm not gonna live for you, or die for you, or do anything anymore for you," I thought to myself, "Yes. Yes." and it kicked off an obsession with the song "Sunday Afternoon," the likes of which weren't seen again until I discovered "Latter Days."

A week or so ago, I listened to the Patty Griffin song "Florida," and the refrain ("Isn't it hard sometimes/Isn't it lonely/How I still hang around here/I've got nothing to hold me") just seemed to fit. And indeed, in less than 24 hours, I'll be cutting loose and making my escape halfway around the world, a casting off of my normal life that honestly couldn't come at a better time. But barring any "man attacks" (a term invented by a friend of Bri's) and their consequences of life in a Thai prison, I'll be back in two weeks. No matter how thin the threads may seem right now, there is still something to hold me here.

*Today's My So-Called Life-derived title is brought to you by the news that they're re-releasing the entire series on DVD. This is almost more exciting than my impending trip to Thailand. Almost.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]