Wednesday, October 24, 2007
How small is it, really?
By hour 22 or so of our 24+ hour journey from D.C. to Bangkok, I was beginning to think that Disney was wrong, that the world was pretty damn big, if it took this long to get to the other side of it. But then, while waiting in line for the bathroom, I met a man who was born in the same tiny town in Kentucky as Bri and me. (Seriously. I was suspicious at first, but then he said something about how we'd just had the Ham Festival, and what are the odds that someone on a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok would just randomly know about the Ham Festival? Pretty slim.)
So far, Thailand is exactly what I thought it would be like and yet not what I thought it would be like at all. The biggest shocks of my culture shock have been how big the billboards are (they are HUGE--like 6 times the size of American billboards), the fact that Pepsi tastes like Coke and Coke tastes like Pepsi, and the inexplicable fondness of the Thai people for soft rock. (In our short time here, we've already heard Barry Manilow and Kenny G.) But I'm in a country where I can buy super-cute dresses for $7, so it's safe to say that, questionable taste in music aside, I'm already pretty much in love with Thailand.
By hour 22 or so of our 24+ hour journey from D.C. to Bangkok, I was beginning to think that Disney was wrong, that the world was pretty damn big, if it took this long to get to the other side of it. But then, while waiting in line for the bathroom, I met a man who was born in the same tiny town in Kentucky as Bri and me. (Seriously. I was suspicious at first, but then he said something about how we'd just had the Ham Festival, and what are the odds that someone on a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok would just randomly know about the Ham Festival? Pretty slim.)
So far, Thailand is exactly what I thought it would be like and yet not what I thought it would be like at all. The biggest shocks of my culture shock have been how big the billboards are (they are HUGE--like 6 times the size of American billboards), the fact that Pepsi tastes like Coke and Coke tastes like Pepsi, and the inexplicable fondness of the Thai people for soft rock. (In our short time here, we've already heard Barry Manilow and Kenny G.) But I'm in a country where I can buy super-cute dresses for $7, so it's safe to say that, questionable taste in music aside, I'm already pretty much in love with Thailand.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]