Thursday, September 20, 2007
Does my MO need an MO*?
In the years since I shed my amateur TV-watching status and turned semi-professional, I've developed a system for adding new shows to my roster. This involves not watching any shows when they're first introduced (Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives were exceptions to this rule), instead letting other people (usually Francesca) be the guinea pigs and tell me if they're worth watching. If so, I will then drive myself crazy by trying to watch an entire season of said show on DVD during the two weeks between when I can get it from Netflix and when the next season premieres.
This is what I'm doing right now with Heroes and, in combination with all the other stuff on my to-do list, it's been a little stressful. So I'm blaming my questioning of this method, combined with the fact that Josh Schwartz's shows have been known to go sour after just one season, on the fact that I actually watched the premiere of Gossip Girl last night.
I knew the day would eventually come when I had to admit that I was too old for high-school shows, but I didn't think that day would come at the tender age of 27. But I couldn't miss its arrival last night, as sat with my mouth agape while witnessing the martini-drinking, text-messaging, couture-wearing, graphic-sex-in-public-places-having exploits of today's uber-privileged youth and marveling at how far and fast we'd fallen since the days of 90210 (in which subjects like drugs and sex were always broached from behind the morally conservative veil of the Walsh family) and Dawson's Creek (in which the only thing remotely scandalous was how many big words they used). And that's not even addressing my real problem with Gossip Girl, which is that it's got all the no-holds-barred soapiness of The O.C. without any of the tongue-in-cheek irony that made that show actually good (and, all right, eventually led to its downfall).
I guess all of this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm thinking my one-season-delay system of finding new shows might not be such a bad thing, if it meant I could have that hour of my life back.
*Uh, as in "makeover"...yeah, it's a bit of a stretch. Go with it.
In the years since I shed my amateur TV-watching status and turned semi-professional, I've developed a system for adding new shows to my roster. This involves not watching any shows when they're first introduced (Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives were exceptions to this rule), instead letting other people (usually Francesca) be the guinea pigs and tell me if they're worth watching. If so, I will then drive myself crazy by trying to watch an entire season of said show on DVD during the two weeks between when I can get it from Netflix and when the next season premieres.
This is what I'm doing right now with Heroes and, in combination with all the other stuff on my to-do list, it's been a little stressful. So I'm blaming my questioning of this method, combined with the fact that Josh Schwartz's shows have been known to go sour after just one season, on the fact that I actually watched the premiere of Gossip Girl last night.
I knew the day would eventually come when I had to admit that I was too old for high-school shows, but I didn't think that day would come at the tender age of 27. But I couldn't miss its arrival last night, as sat with my mouth agape while witnessing the martini-drinking, text-messaging, couture-wearing, graphic-sex-in-public-places-having exploits of today's uber-privileged youth and marveling at how far and fast we'd fallen since the days of 90210 (in which subjects like drugs and sex were always broached from behind the morally conservative veil of the Walsh family) and Dawson's Creek (in which the only thing remotely scandalous was how many big words they used). And that's not even addressing my real problem with Gossip Girl, which is that it's got all the no-holds-barred soapiness of The O.C. without any of the tongue-in-cheek irony that made that show actually good (and, all right, eventually led to its downfall).
I guess all of this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm thinking my one-season-delay system of finding new shows might not be such a bad thing, if it meant I could have that hour of my life back.
*Uh, as in "makeover"...yeah, it's a bit of a stretch. Go with it.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]