Friday, November 03, 2006

Vowed out
Last weekend in Birmingham marked the final journey of Vowsapalooza 2006. And now that I've spent more time uploading my pictures and writing titles and captions for each one than I did at all of the weddings combined, I'm pleased to say that they are finally available for viewing.

But first, I feel the need to cap off this flurry of weddings with a few awards, if only so, in looking back upon the past month in the future, my brain will still be able to distinguish the weddings from one another.

Most inventive ceremony: Kristin and Justin. In addition to all of the traditional vows-y type stuff, Kristin and Justin had members of their wedding party read snippets of their letters to and journal entries about each other, and those of us in attendance got to see their love develop through their eyes. Plus, have you ever been to a wedding where the phrase "He's so damn hot" was part of the ceremony? I didn't think so. But it was awesome.

Most advantageous spin on the unfortunate leggings revival: Nikki and Jon. In what was the first (and will likely be the only) time I have expressed gratitude in regard to Sienna Miller and the havoc she hath wrought, Nikki and her friend Jessie and I ventured to Target the morning of the wedding to purchase leggings for us to wear under our bridesmaid's dresses to help ease the effects of Milwaukee's balmy 45-degree temperatures. Unfortunately, we forgot to account for the static cling that results when you mix cable-knit leggings with chiffon bridesmaid's dresses, but Dave came to the rescue with a last-minute run to Walgreen's for dryer sheets. And there was rejoicing in all the land as the bridesmaids lived to bridesmaid another day!

Most incongruous-yet-yummy food choice: Terri and Alex. How Terri, a vegetarian, came to have such delicious meatballs at her wedding reception, I will never know. But I do know that they were awesome. In fact, I'm still a little pissed at Chris for filching my last meatball, which I was reserving to savor after I'd eaten everything on my plate. You still owe me a meatball, Christopher Ingram!

Best musical choice: It's a three-way tie.

Kristin and Justin get a nod for making Bright Eyes' "The First Day of My Life" their walking-down-the-aisle song. I'd never understood what the fuss was behind that song until that moment. Now I get it.

Nikki and Jon get props for introducing me to the coolest love song ever, "Four Color Love Story" by the Metasciences. It's a love song all about comic books! (So when I said "cool," I clearly meant "in a supremely dorky way.")

Finally, Terri and Alex get a mention for their choice to have a brass quintet as their ceremony music. I had never seen that before, and it was pretty awesome. In case you were wondering (you probably weren't), "Trumpet Voluntary" sounds way cooler when played by an actual trumpet.

Now that these housekeeping matters are out of the way, see pictures of all this stuff (and more!) right here.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]