Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Another advertising campaign I just don't understand
Much as I was bothered by the ass-kicking sports drinks of yore, I have lately become perplexed by Altoids' advertising campaign. And by "lately," I mean today, when Altoids is running a series of themed banner ads on Television Without Pity. For example, the ads on the America's Next Top Model recaps say things like "Pain is the new black," while the ones on the Grey's Anatomy pages say "Dr. McScreamy." (All right, fine. As tired as I am of this "Mc" business, that was funny.) While these ads are certainly no exception to the cheeky cleverness and stunning design that perpetually characterize Altoids' advertising campaign, their message never fails to give me pause. I mean, pain? That's really your selling point? "Buy our mints; they'll hurt you!" What kind of pitch is that? I get that the idea here is that the stronger the mint, the fresher your breath will be. But, particularly with these ads, that connection doesn't seem to be readily apparent, especially for someone who's never tried an Altoid before. And when it comes right down to it, are Altoids really that painful? I don't think so. So if someone's really gung-ho about the whole Altoids = pain concept, don't you think they're going to be a little disappointed when they try that first mint?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]