Thursday, June 29, 2006
American Cereal!, Part Vier
Don't ask me why I've decided to use a different foreign number to note each successive installment of American Cereal! Let's just say that I think we could all stand to learn some new words now and then. Vier, for example, is German for four, which I had to look up, because I took French in school, and Sesame Street only taught me how to count in Spanish. (In case you're wondering, fünf is five in German, which I really wanted to use next week, because come on, how much fun is fünf? When I tried to pick a different language for this week, though, all the ones I could come up with just seemed too left-field this early in the game, so vier it is. But if you're ever in Germany and need to count four or five of something, now you know how.)
Where were we? Oh yeah, cereal. My apologies to the Germans, because this week's cereal is a big loser. I think they're probably too busy with all that World Cup stuff to notice, anyway.
Competitor #4: Kellogg's Fruit Harvest Peach & Strawberry
Before we start with the ratings, let me just clarify that this was a substitute cereal. Some of you may recall that this week's cereal was supposed to be Peach Honey Bunches of Oats, but apparently this is a concoction only found in Duluth. However, once I had peaches on the brain, it was difficult to settle on anything else. (So great was my peach craving, in fact, that I also bought both peach yogurt and actual peaches at the store this week. I think I'm all peached out.)
Taste: 2. Yeah, the peaches were nice, but they were few and far between. Basically, this cereal is just Special K Red Berries in a different box with slightly different fruit. And while I was once a big proponent of Special K Red Berries (in fact, I sometimes even credit myself with getting it introduced to the U.S., since I mentioned it to my uncle who works at Kellogg's after I returned from England), I got sick of it after a couple of years. It seems that time has not healed that wound.
Crunchiness: 3. I guess it holds up moderately well, but really I was too distracted with thoughts of, "This is just Special K Red Berries. Why am I eating Special K Red Berries? I'm sick of Special K Red Berries!" to notice.
Wake-upability: -1. The thought of having to eat this cereal every morning made me not want to wake up. In fact, I blame it for everything that has gone wrong in my life this week. It may even be responsible for everything that is wrong in the universe.
Total score: 4. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I did not like this cereal. Maybe I should move to Duluth, where at least I could get the real Peach Honey Bunches of Oats and wouldn't have to settle for a sub-par substitute.
Don't ask me why I've decided to use a different foreign number to note each successive installment of American Cereal! Let's just say that I think we could all stand to learn some new words now and then. Vier, for example, is German for four, which I had to look up, because I took French in school, and Sesame Street only taught me how to count in Spanish. (In case you're wondering, fünf is five in German, which I really wanted to use next week, because come on, how much fun is fünf? When I tried to pick a different language for this week, though, all the ones I could come up with just seemed too left-field this early in the game, so vier it is. But if you're ever in Germany and need to count four or five of something, now you know how.)
Where were we? Oh yeah, cereal. My apologies to the Germans, because this week's cereal is a big loser. I think they're probably too busy with all that World Cup stuff to notice, anyway.
Competitor #4: Kellogg's Fruit Harvest Peach & Strawberry
Before we start with the ratings, let me just clarify that this was a substitute cereal. Some of you may recall that this week's cereal was supposed to be Peach Honey Bunches of Oats, but apparently this is a concoction only found in Duluth. However, once I had peaches on the brain, it was difficult to settle on anything else. (So great was my peach craving, in fact, that I also bought both peach yogurt and actual peaches at the store this week. I think I'm all peached out.)
Taste: 2. Yeah, the peaches were nice, but they were few and far between. Basically, this cereal is just Special K Red Berries in a different box with slightly different fruit. And while I was once a big proponent of Special K Red Berries (in fact, I sometimes even credit myself with getting it introduced to the U.S., since I mentioned it to my uncle who works at Kellogg's after I returned from England), I got sick of it after a couple of years. It seems that time has not healed that wound.
Crunchiness: 3. I guess it holds up moderately well, but really I was too distracted with thoughts of, "This is just Special K Red Berries. Why am I eating Special K Red Berries? I'm sick of Special K Red Berries!" to notice.
Wake-upability: -1. The thought of having to eat this cereal every morning made me not want to wake up. In fact, I blame it for everything that has gone wrong in my life this week. It may even be responsible for everything that is wrong in the universe.
Total score: 4. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I did not like this cereal. Maybe I should move to Duluth, where at least I could get the real Peach Honey Bunches of Oats and wouldn't have to settle for a sub-par substitute.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]