Friday, June 23, 2006

American Cereal!, Part Tres
We're on a roll now, baby! And with some recent inspiration from Christa, the American Cereal! train shows no signs of slowing...

Contender #3: Heartland Original Granola

Taste: 4. Yummy and brown sugar-y. I'm not sure what it is about granola. I'm not a huge fan of the granola bar, although I'll always eat one if it's around, but put some granola in milk, and all of a sudden you've got yourself several kinds of awesomeness. In fact, I was on a huge granola kick back in '04 when unemployment forced me to seek out cheaper cereals and I ended up falling in love with Crispy Corn & Rice. My only problem with the Original Granola is the "original" part--it's kind of the same principle as plain potato chips. They're good, sure, but why would you eat them when there are so many other options? I love granola with dried fruit in it, mostly because gives me a notch in the daunting "fruits and vegetables" portion of the food pyramid without too much thought or effort. But unfortunately, the only fruit variety of granola that Heartland offers is raisin, and I'm not sold on that.

Crunchiness: 5. This cereal is the baby bear of crunchiness, if you will: just right. The milk makes it just soggy enough not to give me a 7 a.m. jaw workout, and it remains the same consistency of crunchiness throughout the whole bowl. Nice.

Wake-upability: 4. I actually started thinking about this cereal before I went to bed, which is a big step, even though we haven't reached the pining stage just yet.

Total score: 13. A pretty solid score, and I'd almost be tempted to declare granola the winner right here and now, but there are a few concerns. First, it's not exactly a low-fat cereal. Will a few extra grams of fat in the morning really have a long-term impact on my diet? Maybe not (especially since it's probably the good kind of fat, or at least that's what I'm telling myself), but I'm not sure I want to chance it. Also, the box is smaller than average, which is a good thing when it comes to fitting into my cupboard, but not so great when it comes to making one box last an entire week. The verdict's still out on this one.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]