Tuesday, March 14, 2006
3.14
I was super-excited to hear on NPR this morning that today is World Pie Day. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat pie, but you know, it can't hurt to have one. However, as the story promo continued, it soon dawned on me that today is not World Pie Day, but rather World Pi Day--in other words, a celebration of the number 3.14. How boring. I was crushed.
That is, until the actual story about World Pi Day came on, and I learned that math departments around the country will be eating pie to celebrate the number pi. It was probably the only time I'll ever be jealous of my sister's career choice to become a math teacher. I've got to say, I'm all for this trend of mixing mathematics with dessert. Perhaps if there had been pie present, I would have actually paid attention in calculus class.
I was super-excited to hear on NPR this morning that today is World Pie Day. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat pie, but you know, it can't hurt to have one. However, as the story promo continued, it soon dawned on me that today is not World Pie Day, but rather World Pi Day--in other words, a celebration of the number 3.14. How boring. I was crushed.
That is, until the actual story about World Pi Day came on, and I learned that math departments around the country will be eating pie to celebrate the number pi. It was probably the only time I'll ever be jealous of my sister's career choice to become a math teacher. I've got to say, I'm all for this trend of mixing mathematics with dessert. Perhaps if there had been pie present, I would have actually paid attention in calculus class.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]