Wednesday, November 16, 2005
This is not funny
So in addition to the large amounts of work- and running-related stress, plus my newfound (and possibly ill-timed) fascination with Joni Mitchell, I think I've identified another reason why I might be feeling a little blah lately. I believe it's because, thanks to the geniuses of network programming, I have not had any television-assisted comic relief for, literally, months.
First there's Arrested Development, which has, it seems to me, been off the air more weeks than it's been on this season. First it was interrupted for baseball, which I wasn't happy about, but I could at least understand. After all, some people like baseball. But now they keep pre-empting it for two-hour marathons of Prison Break. Who the hell likes Prison Break? Nobody I know, I can tell you that. Now Fox has just announced that has once again decided to cancel Arrested Development due to low ratings. But honestly, were they surprised by the poor ratings? I mean, it's kind of hard for people to watch a show when it's never on.
Then there's The Office, which is being mangled in a similar fashion by the idiots over at NBC. It should be noted that I am a huge fan of the British version of The Office, but I'm not one of those Office purists who insists, on principle, that the American version is crap. I think it's quite funny in its own right. But none of that matters, because it's never on. Last night, I was thrilled to learn that there would be a new episode to greet me when I returned home from pilates class--but I got back and turned on the TV to discover that, while the show was indeed playing, the audio was pre-empted by our local meteorologist, yammering on and on about a tornado several counties away. After insisting that he had to do this because it was regulated by the FCC (funny how no other stations seemed to be under said regulation), he said all we had to do to listen to The Office was hit the TV's SAP button, which most new TVs should have. Well, guess what? Not all of us have new TVs! Some of us have TVs that are wood-paneled, circa 1987 affairs that we got from one of our dad's hunting buddies when we traded him a smaller wood-paneled TV that we had gotten from another of our dad's hunting buddies for handing out programs at his daughter's wedding when we were 11! Obviously NBC doesn't think of things like this when they're pre-empting my beloved programs, which I feel is just blatantly insensitive.
So basically, for the past few months, the extent of my comic relief has amounted to Hurley on Lost and Seth Cohen on The O.C., and, unsurprisingly, they're not exactly cutting it. At least I still have America's Next Top Model.
So in addition to the large amounts of work- and running-related stress, plus my newfound (and possibly ill-timed) fascination with Joni Mitchell, I think I've identified another reason why I might be feeling a little blah lately. I believe it's because, thanks to the geniuses of network programming, I have not had any television-assisted comic relief for, literally, months.
First there's Arrested Development, which has, it seems to me, been off the air more weeks than it's been on this season. First it was interrupted for baseball, which I wasn't happy about, but I could at least understand. After all, some people like baseball. But now they keep pre-empting it for two-hour marathons of Prison Break. Who the hell likes Prison Break? Nobody I know, I can tell you that. Now Fox has just announced that has once again decided to cancel Arrested Development due to low ratings. But honestly, were they surprised by the poor ratings? I mean, it's kind of hard for people to watch a show when it's never on.
Then there's The Office, which is being mangled in a similar fashion by the idiots over at NBC. It should be noted that I am a huge fan of the British version of The Office, but I'm not one of those Office purists who insists, on principle, that the American version is crap. I think it's quite funny in its own right. But none of that matters, because it's never on. Last night, I was thrilled to learn that there would be a new episode to greet me when I returned home from pilates class--but I got back and turned on the TV to discover that, while the show was indeed playing, the audio was pre-empted by our local meteorologist, yammering on and on about a tornado several counties away. After insisting that he had to do this because it was regulated by the FCC (funny how no other stations seemed to be under said regulation), he said all we had to do to listen to The Office was hit the TV's SAP button, which most new TVs should have. Well, guess what? Not all of us have new TVs! Some of us have TVs that are wood-paneled, circa 1987 affairs that we got from one of our dad's hunting buddies when we traded him a smaller wood-paneled TV that we had gotten from another of our dad's hunting buddies for handing out programs at his daughter's wedding when we were 11! Obviously NBC doesn't think of things like this when they're pre-empting my beloved programs, which I feel is just blatantly insensitive.
So basically, for the past few months, the extent of my comic relief has amounted to Hurley on Lost and Seth Cohen on The O.C., and, unsurprisingly, they're not exactly cutting it. At least I still have America's Next Top Model.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]