Thursday, October 13, 2005
Well, it’s official
Everyone I know has better stationery than me.
You’ve already heard about Holly and the mermaid card. Then yesterday, I got the most wonderful little French thank-you note from Kate that was so freaking adorable that I can’t even begin to fathom where she got it, because I didn’t come across anything nearly that cute the entire week I was actually in France. And we’re not even going to talk about Dave, who may or may not have super-swanky stationery (not that there's anything wrong with that), but if, let's say, he did, I certainly would not find that at all intimidating, because it is perfectly natural and normal for boys to have excellent taste in paper products.*
What makes it all the more distressing is that I often interview stationery designers for my job. So if anyone should know where to find good stationery, it’s me. And sure, if you want to, say, announce the birth of your new baby, I can totally hook you up. But if what you need is some fun, cool, everyday stationery, perfect for penning a quick missive to a dear friend in a far-away state, well, I’m afraid I can’t help you there. I’ve looked! Believe me, I’ve looked. But apparently this type of stationery is only available at the Super-Cool Secret Stationery Store, the location of which I am not privy to.
In my desperation for a cool-stationery fix, I’ve taken to ripping out the pages of an Anne Taintor journal Nikki gave me a few years ago, rationalizing that the blog pretty much renders journals useless anyway. It’s not quite the same, but there is something satisfying about writing letters on paper that says things like “She refused to let common sense cloud her judgment.”
*Ed. note: This sentence has been altered slightly (or completely overhauled, depending on how you want to look at it) to protect the innocent and/or those ashamed by the fact that they have good stationery.
Everyone I know has better stationery than me.
You’ve already heard about Holly and the mermaid card. Then yesterday, I got the most wonderful little French thank-you note from Kate that was so freaking adorable that I can’t even begin to fathom where she got it, because I didn’t come across anything nearly that cute the entire week I was actually in France. And we’re not even going to talk about Dave, who may or may not have super-swanky stationery (not that there's anything wrong with that), but if, let's say, he did, I certainly would not find that at all intimidating, because it is perfectly natural and normal for boys to have excellent taste in paper products.*
What makes it all the more distressing is that I often interview stationery designers for my job. So if anyone should know where to find good stationery, it’s me. And sure, if you want to, say, announce the birth of your new baby, I can totally hook you up. But if what you need is some fun, cool, everyday stationery, perfect for penning a quick missive to a dear friend in a far-away state, well, I’m afraid I can’t help you there. I’ve looked! Believe me, I’ve looked. But apparently this type of stationery is only available at the Super-Cool Secret Stationery Store, the location of which I am not privy to.
In my desperation for a cool-stationery fix, I’ve taken to ripping out the pages of an Anne Taintor journal Nikki gave me a few years ago, rationalizing that the blog pretty much renders journals useless anyway. It’s not quite the same, but there is something satisfying about writing letters on paper that says things like “She refused to let common sense cloud her judgment.”
*Ed. note: This sentence has been altered slightly (or completely overhauled, depending on how you want to look at it) to protect the innocent and/or those ashamed by the fact that they have good stationery.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]