Friday, October 07, 2005

I’m sorry, what decade is this again?
Yesterday, I overheard our editorial assistant telling someone that she hopes she won’t have to work once she gets married, because she’d really just like to be able to sleep in, go to the gym, and maybe run an errand or two every day. They were having this conversation while standing right next to my desk, and I had to turn my head so she wouldn’t notice the look of abject horror plainly plastered on my face.

It’s not like I blame her for wanting to sleep late, because God knows I don’t relish waking up at 7:00 every morning. I’ve often thought that I might someday like to get to the point in my career where I can work from home, although I’ve worked from home before, and I’m here to tell you it ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. And I’m trying not to judge her, because I realize that everyone has their own priorities in life, and those priorities might often be different than my own.

But oh my God, I can't stand that shit.

I’m not even going to get into the issue of depending on another person as your sole means of survival—that’s not something I could ever do (which may have something to do with the way I was raised, as my mother has worked part- or full-time her entire life, as have both of my grandmothers), but it doesn’t seem to bother some people, and that’s their choice. The idea that the work that I take such pride in, that I pour my heart and soul into, is just someone else’s idea of killing time until she’s able to find herself a rich man is more than a little frustrating. But what really gets me is that she’s basically admitted that her life’s ambition is to do nothing. Doing nothing has it perks, don’t get me wrong, but to base your entire life around it is a concept so mind-numbing that I can’t even begin to comprehend it. I know that you can’t (or shouldn’t) make your work the sole purpose of your life, and I know that I’m the type of person who sometimes has to remind herself of that. There are many other things in life that make it fulfilling, purposeful, worth living. I just can’t imagine that picking up the dry cleaning is one of those things. No wonder the Housewives are so desperate.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]