Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll, etc.
The other night, as we scarfed down homemade mashed potatoes that took, like, four hours to assemble (that may be a slight exaggeration) and prepared to watch the latest episode of The O.C., my friend Chris said to me, "Most people don't actually have a life, right? They just pretend to?" To which I felt compelled to respond honestly, "Well, I think most people have more of a life than we do." He thought for a moment, then said, "Do people make fun of us because we play Clue all the time?" To which I again felt compelled to respond honestly, "Um, yeah."
The point of this sad little anecdote is that sometimes I fear that I'm frittering away the fragile bloom of my youth (which is why "act my age" is on my list of goals, obviously yet to be accomplished). Of course, other times I wonder why I should go to all the trouble of living a crazy life when I can just live vicariously through the free-wheeling antics of fellow bloggers like Danielle and Christa. (When we're all, like, 40, they can live vicariously through my pristine, youthful-looking skin, preserved by all the nights I spent not out on the town, boozing it up in smoke-filled bars. Ah, who am I kidding? At that point, I'll be out on the town, boozing it up in smoke-filled bars in an attempt to make up for the utter lameness of my 20s.) But until then, because I just can't get enough of these vicarious blog thrills, I've found a new one: Alligator Cowboy Boots.
The site's author, KT (an alias that is both her initials and her first name spelled phonetically--it works on so many levels), was one of my fringe friends in college. I designate her so because she happened to be good friends with several people who also happened to be my good friends, yet our paths never seem to cross that often. The last time I hung out with KT, I was wearing a bridesmaid's dress, we had just done shots of Jaegermeister, and we were singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" in a white-trash karaoke bar in Indiana. Good times with this girl, let me tell ya.
After that weekend two years ago, KT told one of those mutual friends of ours that she wished she and I had hung out more in college. After I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading her blog, I have to say I wholeheartedly concur.
The other night, as we scarfed down homemade mashed potatoes that took, like, four hours to assemble (that may be a slight exaggeration) and prepared to watch the latest episode of The O.C., my friend Chris said to me, "Most people don't actually have a life, right? They just pretend to?" To which I felt compelled to respond honestly, "Well, I think most people have more of a life than we do." He thought for a moment, then said, "Do people make fun of us because we play Clue all the time?" To which I again felt compelled to respond honestly, "Um, yeah."
The point of this sad little anecdote is that sometimes I fear that I'm frittering away the fragile bloom of my youth (which is why "act my age" is on my list of goals, obviously yet to be accomplished). Of course, other times I wonder why I should go to all the trouble of living a crazy life when I can just live vicariously through the free-wheeling antics of fellow bloggers like Danielle and Christa. (When we're all, like, 40, they can live vicariously through my pristine, youthful-looking skin, preserved by all the nights I spent not out on the town, boozing it up in smoke-filled bars. Ah, who am I kidding? At that point, I'll be out on the town, boozing it up in smoke-filled bars in an attempt to make up for the utter lameness of my 20s.) But until then, because I just can't get enough of these vicarious blog thrills, I've found a new one: Alligator Cowboy Boots.
The site's author, KT (an alias that is both her initials and her first name spelled phonetically--it works on so many levels), was one of my fringe friends in college. I designate her so because she happened to be good friends with several people who also happened to be my good friends, yet our paths never seem to cross that often. The last time I hung out with KT, I was wearing a bridesmaid's dress, we had just done shots of Jaegermeister, and we were singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" in a white-trash karaoke bar in Indiana. Good times with this girl, let me tell ya.
After that weekend two years ago, KT told one of those mutual friends of ours that she wished she and I had hung out more in college. After I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading her blog, I have to say I wholeheartedly concur.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]