Friday, September 16, 2005

The O. wait, haven’t I C.-een this before?
I’m thisclose to joining Anne in putting The O.C. on probation. While the reinvention of Ryan and Marissa as the nouveau Mickey and Mallory Knox is certainly grating (although not as grating as Marissa’s ill-advised sartorial choices, like what the hell was that slip-over-leggings combo?), the plotline that’s really working my last nerve is Jimmy and Julie’s. Is it just me, or did we already cover this at the beginning of the first season? Let’s see: Jimmy’s in dire straits financially, but rather than admit this fact to his money-grubbing wife, he lies, cheats, and steals to make her think they’re still loaded, ultimately resulting in him getting his ass kicked at his daughter’s cotillion and his wife leaving him. Yep, done that already. (Although I have a feeling that Jimmy could be in for more than just a fistfight this time—there has to be a reason why they’re still only billing Tate Donovan as a guest star.) Are we really supposed to believe that Jimmy has learned nothing from his previous transgressions? I mean, I know he’s supposed to be a doofus and everything, but isn’t he supposed to skew toward lovable doofus? I’m finding it really hard to love him right now.

Pretty much the only reason I’m still watching this show (other than the fact that I fear going through Peter-Gallagher-eyebrow withdrawal) is because Chris and I have a little bet going about what Jeri Ryan’s character’s intentions are toward Kirsten. Chris’s money is on lesbian love affair (even after I pointed out that they already went down that road with Marissa last season, but maybe plot re-treading is going to be sort of a theme this season, in which case God help us all). I’m going for identity theft/attempted murder, à la Season 6 of 90210, in which Kelly becomes a coke addict and goes to rehab, where she meets that annoying girl who befriends her and then starts to dress like her, even though that was really not a good look on this girl, and then the girl, like, kills Kelly’s fish and keys “Die Val” on Valerie’s car, and finally tries to kill herself and Kelly in Kelly’s BMW on this cliff overlooking the ocean.

God, I miss 90210.

Let this be a lesson to you, O.C. If you have to steal plotlines (which it appears that you do), at least continue to take them from other shows, rather than pilfering from your own damn show. God. How lazy are you?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]