Friday, August 19, 2005
On love
So I realize that not everyone in the world feels the same way I do about IKEA. The Tyrant, for instance, has an ambivalent relationship with IKEA, which is perfectly understandable under her unique circumstances. Also, Edward Norton in Fight Club does not particularly care for IKEA, either, which is slightly less understandable since he was kind of totally insane.
But that does not change the way I feel about IKEA, which is an almost visceral love that has burned away in my heart since that fateful day five years ago when Lisa first introduced me to IKEA in Denmark. My heart starts beating faster, and I am overcome with a giddy, lightheaded feeling as I thumb through the new catalog, which I have been doing (virtually, sadly, as the printed copies can't be ordered yet) for this entire week in preparation for my visit to the new Atlanta store this weekend.
Why do I love IKEA so? Well, for me, it represents everything that is good in the world: products that are aesthetically pleasing, yet cheap. This is the reason why I also love stores such as Target and H&M, but IKEA is really the apex of this principle--nowhere else have I ever found things that are so aesthetically pleasing and still so cheap.
There's more to it, though, for it is this vision set forth by IKEA that I want to build my life around--or, more specifically, the driving force behind the magazine I want to start (which will, naturally, eventually evolve into a multimedia empire). Merely looking at the new catalog has inspired me to resurrect this dream. And it didn't even take the whole catalog to do it! Why, all the motivation I needed was right in this candlestick:

Take a good look at this candlestick, friends! It is the candlestick that will launch an empire. And one day you will all be able to look back and say, "I knew her when she was just a girl with a dream. A dream and a candlestick."
Unfortunately, I'm not even going to be able to buy said candlestick when I go to the store, as I have put myself on a strict IKEA budget, confined only to the purchases I really need, such as a new kitchen table and rug for my living room. (And honestly, these are not so much things I need as they are things I "need.") Still, I think I might have to splurge and shell out $10 for a pair of candlesticks, seeing as they are the inspiration for my empire and all. Plus, they would just look so cute on my new kitchen table.
So I realize that not everyone in the world feels the same way I do about IKEA. The Tyrant, for instance, has an ambivalent relationship with IKEA, which is perfectly understandable under her unique circumstances. Also, Edward Norton in Fight Club does not particularly care for IKEA, either, which is slightly less understandable since he was kind of totally insane.
But that does not change the way I feel about IKEA, which is an almost visceral love that has burned away in my heart since that fateful day five years ago when Lisa first introduced me to IKEA in Denmark. My heart starts beating faster, and I am overcome with a giddy, lightheaded feeling as I thumb through the new catalog, which I have been doing (virtually, sadly, as the printed copies can't be ordered yet) for this entire week in preparation for my visit to the new Atlanta store this weekend.
Why do I love IKEA so? Well, for me, it represents everything that is good in the world: products that are aesthetically pleasing, yet cheap. This is the reason why I also love stores such as Target and H&M, but IKEA is really the apex of this principle--nowhere else have I ever found things that are so aesthetically pleasing and still so cheap.
There's more to it, though, for it is this vision set forth by IKEA that I want to build my life around--or, more specifically, the driving force behind the magazine I want to start (which will, naturally, eventually evolve into a multimedia empire). Merely looking at the new catalog has inspired me to resurrect this dream. And it didn't even take the whole catalog to do it! Why, all the motivation I needed was right in this candlestick:

Take a good look at this candlestick, friends! It is the candlestick that will launch an empire. And one day you will all be able to look back and say, "I knew her when she was just a girl with a dream. A dream and a candlestick."
Unfortunately, I'm not even going to be able to buy said candlestick when I go to the store, as I have put myself on a strict IKEA budget, confined only to the purchases I really need, such as a new kitchen table and rug for my living room. (And honestly, these are not so much things I need as they are things I "need.") Still, I think I might have to splurge and shell out $10 for a pair of candlesticks, seeing as they are the inspiration for my empire and all. Plus, they would just look so cute on my new kitchen table.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]