Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Ill-advised advertising decisions: the Lost edition
Man, the advertising placement during Lost really cracks me up sometimes. (And by sometimes, I mean quite infrequently, as I hardly ever actually watch the commercials. I'm going to have to curb my channel-flipping habit soon, though, now that Chase will be appearing on the small screen in a Lexus commercial.)
Several weeks ago, I happened to see the very end of a commercial for Oceanic Air (i.e., the airline that, on the show, crashed off course and got them all stranded in the first place), featuring a nice shot of a tropical-looking island that bore a striking resemblance to the setting of Lost. As I missed most of the commercial, I'm not sure what its message was, but I can only assume it was something along the lines of, "Wanna get stranded on a deserted island with Matthew Fox? Fly Oceanic Air!" Hmm, actually, that's not such a bad advertising strategy, as long as they leave out the parts about potentially getting eaten by polar bears and stuff.
Which brings us to tonight's stellar advertising placement decision. Right as people on the show are about to get eaten by a polar bear, we cut to a commercial in which Dennis Franz issues a warning about the dangers of trying to keep exotic animals as pets. Because I know that when I see people about to get eaten by a really scary-looking polar bear, it makes me want to run right out and adopt one as a pet. Thank God Dennis Franz talked some sense into me before it was too late.
Man, the advertising placement during Lost really cracks me up sometimes. (And by sometimes, I mean quite infrequently, as I hardly ever actually watch the commercials. I'm going to have to curb my channel-flipping habit soon, though, now that Chase will be appearing on the small screen in a Lexus commercial.)
Several weeks ago, I happened to see the very end of a commercial for Oceanic Air (i.e., the airline that, on the show, crashed off course and got them all stranded in the first place), featuring a nice shot of a tropical-looking island that bore a striking resemblance to the setting of Lost. As I missed most of the commercial, I'm not sure what its message was, but I can only assume it was something along the lines of, "Wanna get stranded on a deserted island with Matthew Fox? Fly Oceanic Air!" Hmm, actually, that's not such a bad advertising strategy, as long as they leave out the parts about potentially getting eaten by polar bears and stuff.
Which brings us to tonight's stellar advertising placement decision. Right as people on the show are about to get eaten by a polar bear, we cut to a commercial in which Dennis Franz issues a warning about the dangers of trying to keep exotic animals as pets. Because I know that when I see people about to get eaten by a really scary-looking polar bear, it makes me want to run right out and adopt one as a pet. Thank God Dennis Franz talked some sense into me before it was too late.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]