Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Because nothing says “I love you” like produce
This morning I was talking to Kristen, whose second wedding anniversary happens to be today. She mentioned that, for their anniversary, she and Jason were getting trees removed from their yard. This didn’t exactly sound like the traditional second-anniversary gift, but I couldn’t really remember what the traditional second-anniversary gift was supposed to be, so I went on Google to find out. (It’s cotton, in case you care. And since cotton and trees are both technically plants, I guess having trees removed could be sort of related to cotton, if you really want to stretch it.)

Anyway, the list I found gave both traditional and modern gift suggestions, going all the way up to the 100th anniversary, for which the gift is a 10-carat diamond. (And yeah, I guess if you make it to your 100th anniversary, you deserve a 10-carat diamond.) While the traditional gifts are generally pretty boring (and tend to peter out as the years pass), the modern gifts provided me with a few laughs. For example:

For the seventh anniversary: Desk sets. Note to future husband: If you buy me a desk set for our seventh anniversary, there will be no eighth anniversary.

For the twenty-fourth anniversary: Musical instruments. Happy anniversary, darling! Please accept this accordion as a token of my love.

For the thirty-first anniversary: Timepieces. If anyone out there can tell me how this differs from the first anniversary gift of “clocks,” I’d love to hear it.

For the forty-first/forty-second anniversaries: Land/Improved real estate. So I guess for the forty-second anniversary, you have to buy your sweetheart better land than you bought her the year before.

Forty-fourth anniversary: Groceries. This is my personal favorite. My parents will be celebrating their forty-fourth anniversary in 10 years, so I'm planning on getting them a nice head of lettuce. Maybe I'll even throw in a jar of spaghetti sauce, too.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]