Friday, May 13, 2005
Raised by Woolf?
I've been reading A Room of One's Own (which had been languishing on my to-read list for longer than I care to admit), and the other night, I came across the following quote, which I liked well enough to fold the corner of the page down so I could find it later:
"So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say."
Under the fog of deadline pressure (and when I say "pressure," I mean "fifteen stories to write in the next ten days pressure"), I'm not sure if I find that extremely inspiring or extremely frustrating.
All I know is, the last time I wrote this much in such a short time, I had someone cheering me on. Now that I have to do it alone (or with the somewhat dubious help of Virginia Woolf, depending on how you want to look at it), I'm not sure I can. Or at least, not without the risk of counting myself as a casualty by the end of it all.
I've been reading A Room of One's Own (which had been languishing on my to-read list for longer than I care to admit), and the other night, I came across the following quote, which I liked well enough to fold the corner of the page down so I could find it later:
"So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say."
Under the fog of deadline pressure (and when I say "pressure," I mean "fifteen stories to write in the next ten days pressure"), I'm not sure if I find that extremely inspiring or extremely frustrating.
All I know is, the last time I wrote this much in such a short time, I had someone cheering me on. Now that I have to do it alone (or with the somewhat dubious help of Virginia Woolf, depending on how you want to look at it), I'm not sure I can. Or at least, not without the risk of counting myself as a casualty by the end of it all.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]