Sunday, February 13, 2005

Things you shouldn't say to your daughter
When my parents called this afternoon for their weekly chat, the first thing my mom said to me was, "Your dad has some exciting news he wants to tell you!" She put him on the phone, and he goes, "Congratulations! You're an aunt!"

Immediately, my mind started racing. Is it possible that I'm so out of touch that my sister had had a baby, and I didn't hear about it until it was actually born? Nah. Then was my sister pregnant, and had my dad meant to say, "You're going to be an aunt? And if that were the case, why would he be so happy about the prospect of his barely-out-of-college daughter having a baby out of wedlock?

Finally, it dawned on me. When I talked to my parents last week, they'd mentioned that my sister and her boyfriend were looking for a puppy. And indeed, this is the new "nephew" to which my dad was referring: They are now the proud parents of an 8-week-old black lab named Tar. (This was actually one of the names, along with Diesel, that my dad had considered for his next dog. When I asked him if he was mad that they stole his puppy name, he was like, "I'm going to name my dog Seven!" Because, you know, it's practically impossible for my dad and me to have a conversation without at least one Seinfeld reference.)

After this news was related, my mom got back on the phone and mentioned that they had eaten dinner the previous night with some friends who have daughters my age, and they'd been trying to remember who had been in their Lamaze class. At which point my mom asks me, "Clare, do you remember who was in Lamaze class with us?" My reply was something along the lines of, "Well, not really, Mom, seeing as I was kind of in your womb at the time."

I swear, my parents can be so strange sometimes.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]