Saturday, February 12, 2005

Saturday-night geometry
I've spent the better part of this evening doing my taxes. That is not a euphamism, but believe me, I wish it were. I hate doing taxes, but that should come as no surprise. I mean, who really likes doing taxes? Actually, my friend Robyn does--she says it gives her a sense of accomplishment. And I guess accountants probably do, because otherwise why would they become accountants? However, I am neither Robyn nor an accountant and I HATE IT.

This year has been particularly painful, what with the two jobs and the unemployment and the freelancing and the IRA and God knows what else. For a while, TurboTax and I were locked in a bitter debate as to whether or not I had a farm. (I don't, but try telling that to TurboTax.) We went around in circles for a while until I finally figured out what I was doing wrong to make it believe that I did have a farm. (I'm not going to take the time to explain it because a) it's really boring, and b) I'm not sure I even understand it.) Anyway, during the course of the evening, I went from having a refund of $950 to owing the government $6. (Seriously, $6. You'd think they could live without that. They can be so petty sometimes.) However, I managed to get back in the green thanks to my student loan payments, but I'm not quite through with the return, so that could change.

But for now, I'm taking a break to visit the weekend's other geometric shape of choice: the triangle. I checked out The Last Picture Show from the library this afternoon, precisely because it was the movie Dawson was watching (in an attempt to be meta during the whole Dawson-Pacey-Joey love triangle drama at the end of Season 3) in the episode of Dawson's Creek I watched this morning. I'm not usually one to take film recommendations from Dawson Leery, but the lady at the library assured me it was very good. (She offered this sentiment unsolicited, by the way; it's not like a told her what a big freak I am, checking out movies that were referenced in episodes of Dawson's Creek.) She also expressed her approval of my selection of The Royal Tenenbaums, and since I've already seen it and know it's good, I tend to think that I can trust her judgment. At the very least, it's got to be better than doing my taxes.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]