Tuesday, January 04, 2005

New year, clean start
Well, sort of. I had grand plans to thoroughly clean my entire apartment yesterday, but this task proved to be a bit more time-consuming than I had anticipated, and therefore I was only able to finish the bedroom and the living room. I guess I’ll have to leave the kitchen and bathroom for next week…or next year. (Just kidding. I’m really not that disgusting. Really.)

In the midst of this cleaning spree, I had to bid a tearful good-bye to the Sinatra table. The Sinatra table, for those of you who never had the distinct pleasure of seeing it in person, was a cheap-o particleboard TV table that I bought at the Goodwill for $10 and decoupaged with black-and-white pictures of Frank Sinatra during my period of unemployment (the first one). I was inordinately proud of this creation; however, there were a few things wrong with it.

First, I neglected to cover my masterpiece with some sort of protective shellac (other than the decoupage), which meant things—like dust, dirt, and the base to a set of coasters Kate gave me—would stick to it. Oops. Also, due to the cheap nature of the table, it was extremely wobbly, a flaw that was all too evident when I got a bigger, heavier TV. Plus, it didn’t really have enough storage space, especially in light of the new DVDs I accumulated over Christmas to go with my new DVD player.

So when my friend Sallie told me she was selling her (substantially more sturdy) TV table at a rock-bottom price in preparation for her move to L.A., I simply couldn’t resist. I picked up my new TV table yesterday, which meant I had to say farewell to the old TV table. As I heaved it over into the dumpster, I couldn’t help but feeling a little sad. But I was also a little happy that, now that Sallie will be 2,000 miles away and not just down the block, I have a little piece of her in my home. Of course, that doesn’t mean I haven’t already seriously considered the possibility of decoupaging my new TV table with pictures of Frank Sinatra, too.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]