Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Minnesotans are funny
Not like that. (Well, except for Heather, whom I’m sure will object violently to being classified as a Minnesotan.)

Anyway, no, what I mean is, I have recently discovered that, by and large, Minnesotans are very humorous. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they’re blanketed under snow for the majority of the year—humor emerges as a sort of coping mechanism. Whatever the case, I can’t say I’m really surprised by this discovery. This is the state, after all, that gave us Garrison Keillor and “Duck, Duck, Gray Duck” (which is actually not so much funny as it is weird, but that’s another post altogether).

I stumbled upon this wealth of Minnesota-based humor when, faced with infrequent updates on many of my regularly read blogs (seriously, Tyrant—American Idol is starting again soon, and I am getting worried about the future of The Alliance), I was forced to broaden my horizons. I did this by turning to the relatively new blogs of Brian and his friends.

Now, I knew Brian vaguely in college, as we lived in the same dorm for a brief period, but I didn’t really know him well enough to ascertain whether or not he was funny. (And it probably didn’t help matters that, on the one social outing we both attended, much of it was spent in the hospital, which is not really the best place to gauge someone’s humor.) Anyway, after reading Brian’s blog, I can now say with total confidence that he is, in fact, very funny. This entry in particular caused the water I was drinking while reading it to find its way into my nasal passages.

Of course, Brian’s blog alone was not enough to occupy my time (Scott, are you getting the point here?), so I soon turned my attention to his friends. I was particularly captivated by the link on his blog that read: “Christa’s Blog—Read at your own risk.” I’m not sure if Brian was purposely trying to be enticing, or if I’m just a sucker for gimmicky ad lines, but I simply had to know what was so dangerous about Christa’s blog. I’m not going to spoil it for you. Read it yourself—you’ll be glad you did.

When I found myself with even more time on my hands (Kella, where have you gone?), I next turned to Jeff, who, although he didn’t quite get the same tantalizing tagline as Christa, also proved himself to be quite hilarious, making it three for three for funny Minnesotans.

I have yet to explore the other offerings set forth by this circle of friends, but I feel I may have the chance to do so soon. (Anne, I’m looking at you.) I have to warn the rest of you blogging Minnesotans, though: My expectations are pretty high.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]