Monday, December 13, 2004

I knew I couldn’t hold out forever
But that didn’t stop me from trying as long as I could. However, as of this morning, I am no longer an eBay virgin.

I may in fact be the last person in the world to join the eBay craze. Even my mom has bought stuff off of eBay. But I resisted, mostly because I saw the havoc eBay hath wrought on the lives of my friends. (I’m thinking specifically of Adrian’s John Lennon tapestry here—and I suspect you are, too. Especially if you’re Sara.)

But this holiday season, my eBay resistance proved ultimately futile. My sister just moved to West Virginia, so I wanted to get her the now-infamous “It’s All Relative in West Virginia” T-shirt as a Christmas present. Of course, far be it for me to actually have the foresight to purchase this item earlier this year, when it was still at Abercrombie & Fitch. Now, the only place to get the T-shirt is on eBay. (And you can’t even find the Abercrombie version there, which is just as well with me, since I generally abhor Abercrombie with every fiber of my being.) So I took the eBay plunge and ordered the shirt for her. And it was…not bad, actually, which is kind of scary. Next thing you know, I’ll be buying hideous tapestries emblazoned with the likenesses of famous musicians.

What happens when you’ve been friends with someone for ten years
A rough transcript of a conversation I had with Jeff the other night about our Christmas presents:

Me: You are going to be so surprised when you see your Christmas present. It’s so awesome! You will get hours of enjoyment out of it.
Jeff: You will get hours of enjoyment out of your Christmas present, too.
[Pause]
Jeff: Are we getting each other the same thing for Christmas?
Me: I don’t know, are we?
Jeff: Well, the thing I’m getting you is also something I would want.
Me: Yeah, the thing I’m getting you is something I would want.
[Pause]
Me: Oh my God, we are getting each other the same thing!
Jeff: Oh, well. I still want it.
Me: Yeah, me too.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]