Saturday, November 13, 2004
Art Opening of Extreme Awkwardness
So last night I went with a couple of my friends to an opening at my favorite art gallery (which has moved and is now conveniently located a short distance from my apartment, yay!). The same people tend to come to these events every time, so I was unsurprised to run into many people I know at the opening. However, of all people, I did not expect to run into this guy. Remember him? The "as friends" guy? (Heretofore known as the AFG, for the purposes of simplicity and not having to use quotation marks.) He was obviously there on assignment for work, which doesn't really make his presence any less surprising, since why would a sports photographer be shooting an art gallery event? But anyway. He was there.
I was standing around talking to Terri, Danielle and Danielle's boss (who's also my freelance boss) when I first saw him walk by. I whispered this to Danielle, who obviously wanted to know which guy I was talking about. He had already moved on to another room of the gallery, so I told her he was the one walking around with a camera. She had been there awhile and had noticed him and thought he was hot (although we later deduced that she was talking about a different guy who was hotter than the guy I was talking about, but when we figured that out, she still allowed that the AFG was very cute), so she responded with an approving, "Snap!" This caught the attention of her boss, who had momentarily turned away to talk to someone else, and she immediately demanded to know who the "Snap!" was in reference to, turning around and scanning the gallery, asking, "Who is he? Which one?" Oh. My God. Thankfully, the AFG was still in another room and was not there to witness this display, and eventually I was able to put her off without having to repeat the details of the whole non-saga saga.
I spent the rest of the evening artfully avoiding the AFG, as I had used up my quota of Doing Brave Things in Regard to the Opposite Sex when I asked him out and therefore couldn't bring myself to go up and talk to him after not having heard from him at all following our non-date date. The avoiding was a bit tricky, because I was also trying to avoid the girl that I accidentally called Anna Nicole Smith at a Halloween party two years ago, which was one of the most embarrassing foot-in-mouth moments of my life, and that's saying a lot for someone who has quite a few of those moments. However, because we live in the same neighborhood and have some of the same friends, I tend to run into this girl a lot, so I've become pretty adept at avoiding her. Still, every time I run into her, my embarrassment at having called her Anna Nicole Smith comes bubbling back to the surface. So, combined with trying to avoid the AFG, it made for a very awkward evening. Ah well, at least I got to catch up with some people I have not yet humiliated myself in front of. And I got a free beer!
So last night I went with a couple of my friends to an opening at my favorite art gallery (which has moved and is now conveniently located a short distance from my apartment, yay!). The same people tend to come to these events every time, so I was unsurprised to run into many people I know at the opening. However, of all people, I did not expect to run into this guy. Remember him? The "as friends" guy? (Heretofore known as the AFG, for the purposes of simplicity and not having to use quotation marks.) He was obviously there on assignment for work, which doesn't really make his presence any less surprising, since why would a sports photographer be shooting an art gallery event? But anyway. He was there.
I was standing around talking to Terri, Danielle and Danielle's boss (who's also my freelance boss) when I first saw him walk by. I whispered this to Danielle, who obviously wanted to know which guy I was talking about. He had already moved on to another room of the gallery, so I told her he was the one walking around with a camera. She had been there awhile and had noticed him and thought he was hot (although we later deduced that she was talking about a different guy who was hotter than the guy I was talking about, but when we figured that out, she still allowed that the AFG was very cute), so she responded with an approving, "Snap!" This caught the attention of her boss, who had momentarily turned away to talk to someone else, and she immediately demanded to know who the "Snap!" was in reference to, turning around and scanning the gallery, asking, "Who is he? Which one?" Oh. My God. Thankfully, the AFG was still in another room and was not there to witness this display, and eventually I was able to put her off without having to repeat the details of the whole non-saga saga.
I spent the rest of the evening artfully avoiding the AFG, as I had used up my quota of Doing Brave Things in Regard to the Opposite Sex when I asked him out and therefore couldn't bring myself to go up and talk to him after not having heard from him at all following our non-date date. The avoiding was a bit tricky, because I was also trying to avoid the girl that I accidentally called Anna Nicole Smith at a Halloween party two years ago, which was one of the most embarrassing foot-in-mouth moments of my life, and that's saying a lot for someone who has quite a few of those moments. However, because we live in the same neighborhood and have some of the same friends, I tend to run into this girl a lot, so I've become pretty adept at avoiding her. Still, every time I run into her, my embarrassment at having called her Anna Nicole Smith comes bubbling back to the surface. So, combined with trying to avoid the AFG, it made for a very awkward evening. Ah well, at least I got to catch up with some people I have not yet humiliated myself in front of. And I got a free beer!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]