Monday, October 25, 2004
What's in a name?
So remember the cute boy at the library that I had a crush on? (Probably not, unless you're Kate, whom I took to the library the last time she was here for the express purpose of verifying how cute he was.) Anyway, tonight I found out his name. Not through any sort of meaningful conversation, mind you, but rather by sneaking a peek at his ID badge while he was distracted by simultaneously trying to check my books out and answer a phone call. But still, I found out.
And it's Kenny. As in Loggins. Or the South Park character who dies in every episode. Either way, the connotations aren't exactly positive. And now my whole perception of him has changed. I mean, maybe if he went by Ken, things would be different. Or possibly even Kenneth. (OK, probably not Kenneth, because there was a really mean kid in my elementary school called Kenneth, so that name has negative associations for me, too.) But seriously, Kenny? I'm sorry, call me shallow, but I just cannot love someone named Kenny. Which is probably just as well, since his interest in me has never amounted to anything more than a few dozen friendly smiles.
But oh, what a great smile he has. Perhaps I could convince him to go by Ken.
So remember the cute boy at the library that I had a crush on? (Probably not, unless you're Kate, whom I took to the library the last time she was here for the express purpose of verifying how cute he was.) Anyway, tonight I found out his name. Not through any sort of meaningful conversation, mind you, but rather by sneaking a peek at his ID badge while he was distracted by simultaneously trying to check my books out and answer a phone call. But still, I found out.
And it's Kenny. As in Loggins. Or the South Park character who dies in every episode. Either way, the connotations aren't exactly positive. And now my whole perception of him has changed. I mean, maybe if he went by Ken, things would be different. Or possibly even Kenneth. (OK, probably not Kenneth, because there was a really mean kid in my elementary school called Kenneth, so that name has negative associations for me, too.) But seriously, Kenny? I'm sorry, call me shallow, but I just cannot love someone named Kenny. Which is probably just as well, since his interest in me has never amounted to anything more than a few dozen friendly smiles.
But oh, what a great smile he has. Perhaps I could convince him to go by Ken.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]