Tuesday, October 19, 2004
The bathroom habits of the rich and famous
I can’t really explain why, but whenever a celebrity talks about toilet paper in an interview, this information melds itself to my brain. Perhaps its because my daily interactions with toilet paper are so numerous (thanks in no small part to the copious amounts of water I drink every day) that I naturally am required to ponder it quite often. (Besides, what else is there to think about in the bathroom?) (Don’t answer that.)
For example, a few years ago, I read an interview with Cameron Diaz in Rolling Stone. The interviewer (Erik something or other) had this rather annoying shtick going where he acted like a complete ass to Cameron Diaz just to provoke her and make her say rude things. Anyway, the one thing I remember from this interview, other than how much I hated the interviewer, was that he asked her how much toilet paper she used, and she replied that using more toilet paper than you strictly require is wasteful. This profound thought caused me to seriously re-evaluate my toilet-paper consumption habits, which I doubt was what the interviewer was going for.
Lately, though, my celebrity-related toilet paper thoughts have taken a different turn. A couple of months ago, I saw a re-run of the premiere of Ellen, on which Jennifer Aniston was a guest. Ellen asked Jennifer if Brad Pitt has any annoying habits that she just can’t stand, at which point Jennifer revealed that Brad prefers his toilet paper to roll from underneath, while Jen herself is a over-the-top girl (as am I). In fact, Jennifer said, this habit annoys her so much that if she happens upon a roll that Brad has installed in his preferred fashion, she will actually take it out and flip it over to suit her own preferences, which just seems like a lot of work to me. (Plus, as Ellen wisely pointed out, she should be happy that Brad changes the toilet paper at all.) Consequently, now every time I go into a bathroom and see a roll of toilet paper that is loaded from underneath, I automatically think of Brad Pitt. That can’t be normal.
I can’t really explain why, but whenever a celebrity talks about toilet paper in an interview, this information melds itself to my brain. Perhaps its because my daily interactions with toilet paper are so numerous (thanks in no small part to the copious amounts of water I drink every day) that I naturally am required to ponder it quite often. (Besides, what else is there to think about in the bathroom?) (Don’t answer that.)
For example, a few years ago, I read an interview with Cameron Diaz in Rolling Stone. The interviewer (Erik something or other) had this rather annoying shtick going where he acted like a complete ass to Cameron Diaz just to provoke her and make her say rude things. Anyway, the one thing I remember from this interview, other than how much I hated the interviewer, was that he asked her how much toilet paper she used, and she replied that using more toilet paper than you strictly require is wasteful. This profound thought caused me to seriously re-evaluate my toilet-paper consumption habits, which I doubt was what the interviewer was going for.
Lately, though, my celebrity-related toilet paper thoughts have taken a different turn. A couple of months ago, I saw a re-run of the premiere of Ellen, on which Jennifer Aniston was a guest. Ellen asked Jennifer if Brad Pitt has any annoying habits that she just can’t stand, at which point Jennifer revealed that Brad prefers his toilet paper to roll from underneath, while Jen herself is a over-the-top girl (as am I). In fact, Jennifer said, this habit annoys her so much that if she happens upon a roll that Brad has installed in his preferred fashion, she will actually take it out and flip it over to suit her own preferences, which just seems like a lot of work to me. (Plus, as Ellen wisely pointed out, she should be happy that Brad changes the toilet paper at all.) Consequently, now every time I go into a bathroom and see a roll of toilet paper that is loaded from underneath, I automatically think of Brad Pitt. That can’t be normal.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]