Tuesday, August 03, 2004
I'm a 24-year-old nerd
Yesterday morning as I was washing one of my contacts, it tore in two right in my palm. Because I am both too broke to afford new contacts and can't find my current prescription from my eye doctor, I must wait until I go home next month to get new contacts. So, for the next four weeks, I'm stuck wearing my glasses and therefore also stuck feeling like a total nerd.
Before I go any further, let me just say that it's not like I think glasses = nerd. I know that a great many of my faithful readers wear glasses all the time, and I happen to think you all look quite lovely in them. It's just that the last time I wore glasses full-time was in middle school, when I was in fact a complete nerd--chubby with bad skin, mall bangs and stirrup pants. (To give you an idea of just how hideous I was: Upon seeing my seventh-grade yearbook pictures, my mother said, "Um, you might not want to hand those out to people.") My glasses are like a time machine that transport me directly back to middle school--a time in one's life that should never, ever have to be relived.
It's not that I don't like the glasses themselves. I got trendy new frames about a year ago, and I love them--at certain times. It seems to me that some activities are more conducive to glasses-wearing than others. These include reading, hanging out at artsy coffeehouses and restaurants, and pretending to be a sexy librarian. Then there are those activities that are not so glasses-friendly--namely, working out. When I'm wearing a cool outfit and hanging out somewhere cool with my cool friends, I can convince myself that I am not in fact back in the seventh grade. However, when I'm all sweaty and wearing schlumpy workout clothes and can practically feel the pimples popping up all over my face, not so much.
Then there is the added factor of not being able to see quite as well with my glasses as I could with my contacts, due to their further physical distance from my eyeball. (They're the exact same prescription, so I know this is the reason.) For someone who is already prone to running into things, having my vision slightly blurred is not really a good thing. It definitely ups the nerd quotient. It's hard to look intellectually sexy when you're crashing into walls and tables and things.
Perhaps by the time this month is over, my eyes will adjust and I'll learn to make peace with my nerdy seventh grade self and I won't even want to wear the new contacts when I get them. Or maybe I'll break down and buy some contacts before this week is over.
Yesterday morning as I was washing one of my contacts, it tore in two right in my palm. Because I am both too broke to afford new contacts and can't find my current prescription from my eye doctor, I must wait until I go home next month to get new contacts. So, for the next four weeks, I'm stuck wearing my glasses and therefore also stuck feeling like a total nerd.
Before I go any further, let me just say that it's not like I think glasses = nerd. I know that a great many of my faithful readers wear glasses all the time, and I happen to think you all look quite lovely in them. It's just that the last time I wore glasses full-time was in middle school, when I was in fact a complete nerd--chubby with bad skin, mall bangs and stirrup pants. (To give you an idea of just how hideous I was: Upon seeing my seventh-grade yearbook pictures, my mother said, "Um, you might not want to hand those out to people.") My glasses are like a time machine that transport me directly back to middle school--a time in one's life that should never, ever have to be relived.
It's not that I don't like the glasses themselves. I got trendy new frames about a year ago, and I love them--at certain times. It seems to me that some activities are more conducive to glasses-wearing than others. These include reading, hanging out at artsy coffeehouses and restaurants, and pretending to be a sexy librarian. Then there are those activities that are not so glasses-friendly--namely, working out. When I'm wearing a cool outfit and hanging out somewhere cool with my cool friends, I can convince myself that I am not in fact back in the seventh grade. However, when I'm all sweaty and wearing schlumpy workout clothes and can practically feel the pimples popping up all over my face, not so much.
Then there is the added factor of not being able to see quite as well with my glasses as I could with my contacts, due to their further physical distance from my eyeball. (They're the exact same prescription, so I know this is the reason.) For someone who is already prone to running into things, having my vision slightly blurred is not really a good thing. It definitely ups the nerd quotient. It's hard to look intellectually sexy when you're crashing into walls and tables and things.
Perhaps by the time this month is over, my eyes will adjust and I'll learn to make peace with my nerdy seventh grade self and I won't even want to wear the new contacts when I get them. Or maybe I'll break down and buy some contacts before this week is over.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]