Tuesday, May 04, 2004
The next time you see me, I could be wearing a hard hat
Kate called me last night to commiserate after reading yesterday's blog entry. During this conversation, she suggested that I quit the day job that is slowly driving me insane and find some other way to make money while I look for a different full-time job. (Since I have my freelance gig, I don't really have to worry about having holes in my resume.)
Little did Kate now, this very idea had already occurred to me. For some time, I have been considering, semi-seriously, quitting my magazine job and becoming a construction equipment operator. I could wear jeans to work. I'd get to be outside. I'd have plenty of time to just think without other people bothering me. And I'd make about twice what I'm making now per hour. What's not to love?
There's only one problem. (OK, perhaps a couple of little problems.) First, the only piece of construction equipment I really enjoy and can operate well is the mini excavator. However, I don't think you can get a job specifically as a mini excavator operator. I think you just have to be a general excavator operator, which means that I would also have to operate the really big excavators, and those kind of scare me. Also, I really only like to dig aimlessly, and on most construction sites, you kind of have to dig with a purpose. I'm not sure I'd be so good at digging with a purpose.
But if any of you feel like paying me to sit on a mini excavator and dig dirt aimlessly all day, I'll totally do it.
Kate called me last night to commiserate after reading yesterday's blog entry. During this conversation, she suggested that I quit the day job that is slowly driving me insane and find some other way to make money while I look for a different full-time job. (Since I have my freelance gig, I don't really have to worry about having holes in my resume.)
Little did Kate now, this very idea had already occurred to me. For some time, I have been considering, semi-seriously, quitting my magazine job and becoming a construction equipment operator. I could wear jeans to work. I'd get to be outside. I'd have plenty of time to just think without other people bothering me. And I'd make about twice what I'm making now per hour. What's not to love?
There's only one problem. (OK, perhaps a couple of little problems.) First, the only piece of construction equipment I really enjoy and can operate well is the mini excavator. However, I don't think you can get a job specifically as a mini excavator operator. I think you just have to be a general excavator operator, which means that I would also have to operate the really big excavators, and those kind of scare me. Also, I really only like to dig aimlessly, and on most construction sites, you kind of have to dig with a purpose. I'm not sure I'd be so good at digging with a purpose.
But if any of you feel like paying me to sit on a mini excavator and dig dirt aimlessly all day, I'll totally do it.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]