Saturday, May 08, 2004
Like apples and...nah, oranges are still too similar. Papayas, maybe?
Sometimes I think my sister and I are as different as two people can be and still be related. (If she were older than me, I would seriously wonder if perhaps she was switched at birth with The Tyrant. Sometimes I wonder anyway.) To give you an idea of just how pronounced these differences are, let's compare the graduation presents we each received from our parents.
My graduation present: A trip to New York.
My sister's graduation present: A 20-gauge shotgun and a fully stocked tacklebox.
I am not joking, I assure you.
Being at her graduation today made me kind of wistful. Not that I wish I were graduating, because I really don't think I want to be back in school. I guess it was just a longing for that feeling of a fresh start. That was always my favorite part of school--getting to start over every year. That feeling just doesn't translate to the "real world," though some people try to assign it to New Year's. To me, there's nothing about the beginning of January that says "possibility." The end of May, however...that's a different story.
Also while at home, I burned myself a mix CD that includes both Jeff Buckley's and Rufus Wainwright's version of "Hallelujah." (Proving once and for all that Buckley's version is infinitely better, which was already pretty obvious by the fact that I couldn't even remember hearing the Wainwright version in Shrek, yet after hearing the Buckley version on The O.C., it has haunted me for days. I still haven't heard the original Leonard Cohen version, but based on my experiences with "Famous Blue Raincoat," I'm guessing I won't like it as much, either.) Almost all of the songs on the CD are ones that I fell in love with after hearing them on various TV shows and movies--it also includes Ben Folds Five's "Magic" and Sarah Slean's "My Invitation" (two of my favorite songs that were used on Dawson's Creek), as well as Eva Cassidy's "Songbird," which is used in what might be the best scene in Love Actually (the one where Karl the hot designer takes his shirt off). Overall, the CD is pretty depressing. In fact, I think it might be the most depressing mix I've ever made (and there have been a lot of contenders). It definitely tops my former definitive work, 1997's "Depressing Songs" mix tape. Obviously, I didn't know from depressing back then.
Also on the CD is Jem's cover of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" (apologies to my readers in Kansas--particularly Sara--that sound you just heard is Adrian screaming), which one of the O.C. forum posters on TWoP was kind enough to share. Of course, since the song was lifted directly from the show, there are bits of dialogue in parts of it. (In case you're wondering, Mischa Barton's bad acting translates just as well through an audio-only medium. But are you really surprised?) Because of this, the track ends with Rachel Bilson saying, "I figured you'd be stuffing your pockets with cocktail weinies." Ha! I guess even the most depressing CD ever has to have some comic relief.
Sometimes I think my sister and I are as different as two people can be and still be related. (If she were older than me, I would seriously wonder if perhaps she was switched at birth with The Tyrant. Sometimes I wonder anyway.) To give you an idea of just how pronounced these differences are, let's compare the graduation presents we each received from our parents.
My graduation present: A trip to New York.
My sister's graduation present: A 20-gauge shotgun and a fully stocked tacklebox.
I am not joking, I assure you.
Being at her graduation today made me kind of wistful. Not that I wish I were graduating, because I really don't think I want to be back in school. I guess it was just a longing for that feeling of a fresh start. That was always my favorite part of school--getting to start over every year. That feeling just doesn't translate to the "real world," though some people try to assign it to New Year's. To me, there's nothing about the beginning of January that says "possibility." The end of May, however...that's a different story.
Also while at home, I burned myself a mix CD that includes both Jeff Buckley's and Rufus Wainwright's version of "Hallelujah." (Proving once and for all that Buckley's version is infinitely better, which was already pretty obvious by the fact that I couldn't even remember hearing the Wainwright version in Shrek, yet after hearing the Buckley version on The O.C., it has haunted me for days. I still haven't heard the original Leonard Cohen version, but based on my experiences with "Famous Blue Raincoat," I'm guessing I won't like it as much, either.) Almost all of the songs on the CD are ones that I fell in love with after hearing them on various TV shows and movies--it also includes Ben Folds Five's "Magic" and Sarah Slean's "My Invitation" (two of my favorite songs that were used on Dawson's Creek), as well as Eva Cassidy's "Songbird," which is used in what might be the best scene in Love Actually (the one where Karl the hot designer takes his shirt off). Overall, the CD is pretty depressing. In fact, I think it might be the most depressing mix I've ever made (and there have been a lot of contenders). It definitely tops my former definitive work, 1997's "Depressing Songs" mix tape. Obviously, I didn't know from depressing back then.
Also on the CD is Jem's cover of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" (apologies to my readers in Kansas--particularly Sara--that sound you just heard is Adrian screaming), which one of the O.C. forum posters on TWoP was kind enough to share. Of course, since the song was lifted directly from the show, there are bits of dialogue in parts of it. (In case you're wondering, Mischa Barton's bad acting translates just as well through an audio-only medium. But are you really surprised?) Because of this, the track ends with Rachel Bilson saying, "I figured you'd be stuffing your pockets with cocktail weinies." Ha! I guess even the most depressing CD ever has to have some comic relief.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]