Wednesday, April 28, 2004

The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You (Unless You're John Stevens, That Is)
You know, a really fun idea occurred to me last night as the previews for 24 came on right before American Idol. Wouldn't it be great if the two shows did some sort of crossover special and completely switched casts? I don't know what I'd enjoy more: Seeing Keifer Sutherland sing "Conga," or watching Ryan Seacrest get held hostage by terrorists.

Last night on American Idol, I learned that the key to mastering Latin pop music is to wear a flouncy red dress. This is the only thing I can infer from an episode in which the only two performers who were able to do well in this genre (LaToya and Diana) were so attired. The rest of the performances ranged from mediocre (Jasmine) to downright dismal (John Stevens).

In fact, I don't think even a flouncy red dress could have helped poor John. I can see how John survived after Barry Manilow night. If ever there were an artist who was suited to John's singing style, it's probably Barry Manilow. But Gloria Estefan? Not so much. If John is able to move on in the competition after Gloria Estefan night, I really want to know who the hell is still voting for him. Seriously. If you're voting for John, let me know. Because I care about you, and you obviously need professional psychiatric help.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]