Friday, April 02, 2004

Reality TV editors: 4,792, Clare: 0
You'd think that a person who watches as much reality television as I do would eventually develop a cynical eye to the fact that all reality shows are edited so that the losers look like they'll be the winners, and vice versa. But no. It's not like I'm stupid and don't realize this is what's going on. It's just that I get so caught up in the show that I forget that, nine times out of 10, what I think is going to happen is the exact opposite of what is actually going to happen. This is why I should not try to predict the outcomes of reality shows.

Last night on The Apprentice, right up until Carolyn announced Nick and Amy's lease amount, I totally thought they were going to lose. And right up until Trump told Troy, "You're fired," I totally thought Kwame was getting the axe.

Before you start thinking I'm hopelessly naive, let me just say that last prediction was not just based on the show last night. My forecast that Troy would be on the final show was at least partially based on an interview I read with Troy in USA Today a few weeks ago. The article, which predicted Troy as the winner of the show, mentioned that he already knew whether he was in the top two or not, and included the following quote from Troy: "I'm cautiously optimistic." Why would he say he was cautiously optimistic, I thought, if he knew he'd already been fired? I realize now that this was giving too much credit to the journalistic integrity of USA Today and that this quote was probably taken completely out of context.

Although I was incorrect in my prediction of who would be fired, did you notice that the reason I gave last week for why The Donald would never pick Troy as the winner was, word-for-word, the exact same reason The Donald himself gave when firing Troy? Apparently, The Donald and I are of the same mind. Scary.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]