Thursday, April 01, 2004

California, here we come
Yesterday, I got the best birthday present ever. I found out that I am going to get to fulfill one of my lifelong (well, if not lifelong, then at least since I read Francesca and Andrea Delbanco's story in Seventeen magazine) dreams. Yes, that's right, dear readers. I am going on the Great American Road Trip.

Bri and I first hatched the idea to take The Great American Road Trip together sometime last year, when she mentioned that she was thinking of going to grad school in California and, if she did, wondered if I would accompany her on the drive out there. We were excited about the prospect of a road trip, but disheartened that said road trip wouldn't occur until 2005, when she graduates. Plus, I was concerned that, because 2005 is when I am set to make my next birthday pilgrimage to France, I wouldn't be able to do both things in the same year.

Then, about a month ago, Bri e-mailed me to tell me that she was applying for internships in California this summer, which would mean our road trip could happen sooner than expected. She applied to a program at UCLA, but was concerned because she had sent her materials in very close to the application date and wasn't sure if they would be accepted. I, too, had some concerns, mostly related to money and whether going on this trip would preclude me from going on other trips I wanted to take throughout the year.

Much to our relief, everything has fallen into place over the last few days. First, I found out that I got a freelance proofreading job, which will give me some extra cash to use for this and other vacations. And yesterday, Bri found out that she had been accepted to the UCLA program. We had already pretty much decided that we were going to do the road trip this summer no matter what, but the fact that all of these things have come together in the way we wanted just makes it that much easier.

The excitement that I felt last night at the prospect of our Great American Road Trip was so great that it couldn't even be dampened by the completely shocking and inexplicable turn of events on American Idol. It is now more apparent than ever that Camile is indeed the second coming of the Antichrist (also known as Carmen Rasmusen). What's worse is that Camile seems to have hired Julia DeMato as her hairstylist, as I can't imagine who else could have come up with that monstrosity that was on her head last night. Three small knots on the top of one side of her head, and a low side ponytail on the other? No. Just no.

Please, people. We have to do something about this before it gets out of hand. There are impressionable young children watching this show! Do you want them running around with bad hair? If nothing else, do it for the sake of the children!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]