Friday, January 23, 2004

Reality-TV Smackdown: AI3 vs. The Apprentice
NBC really cracks me up sometimes. Like when they run ads for The Apprentice saying, "All you need to know is that The Apprentice is back on Thursday nights." Why can't they just be honest and say, "All you need to know is that last night, The Apprentice went head-to-head with American Idol and lost big-time." Of course, I don't know for a fact that The Apprentice lost to American Idol in the ratings. But that's pretty much the only thing I can infer after last week's deluge of promos touting The Apprentice in its new Wednesday-night time slot.

No matter how NBC markets it, I'm actually glad that The Apprentice is back on Thursday nights. For one thing, it gives me a reason, other than a pervasive sense of obligation, to keep watching NBC on Thursday nights. Also, it solves the gut-wrenching dilemma of having to choose between AI and The Apprentice (or at least saves me the agony of channel-flipping and missing important parts of each show). Because honestly, if I was forced to choose, I was afraid The Apprentice was going to win out, based on the merit of it actually having a story arc and not trying to stretch a storyline that could have been told in 30 minutes over SIX HOURS. Look, you all know how much I love American Idol. But even I have my limits. And AI3 is already getting dangerously close to the edge.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]