Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Yes, Virginia, there is an efficient postal worker
And today I had the privilege of meeting him. Just when I was convinced that the post office was quite possibly the most inefficiently run organization in the history of the world (based on their theory of making sure the least possible windows are open at the busiest times of the day) and that all of its employees were the slowest-moving people on the face of God's green earth (does it really take 10 minutes to get a package mailed?), Super-Efficient Postal Worker came to save the day. I saw him move nearly 10 people through his line in the time it took his colleague, Completely Incompetent Postal Worker, to serve one customer. In fact, Super-Efficient Postal Worker probably could have moved more people through his line if he didn't have to keep stopping to help Completely Incompetent Postal Worker figure out how to do everything. (It was the one and only time I actually found myself wishing there were fewer windows open at the post office.)

Yes, Super-Efficient Postal Worker was truly a marvel. Until, of course, he came to me. Because apparently I am Postal Worker Kryptonite. The fact that I kept pulling packages out of an enormous Target bag seemed to flummox him a bit, but still Super-Efficient Postal Worker pressed on, shipping my packages and getting me my stamps faster than a speeding bullet. It wasn't until we got to the final package that Super-Efficient Postal Worker lost his super powers.

Apparently in my haste to get all of my presents addressed, I had accidentally transposed a couple of the numbers in Holly's zip code, and the computer refused to calculate the postage. So Super-Efficient Postal Worker had to look up her zip code by typing her address into the computer. At last, I discovered Super-Efficient Postal Worker's Achilles heel: typing.

I swear to God, it took the man a good five minutes to get Holly's address entered into the computer. Of course, it didn't help that he made about 100 typos along the way, including typing "Blue Sprihgs" as Holly's city of residence. Although he had obviously lost some of his strength, Super-Efficient Postal Worker was finally able to pull through and get Holly's package off to the correct zip code. For the sake of the 10 million people in line behind me, I hope he regained full use of his super powers after I left the post office.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]