Friday, December 19, 2003

The feel-bad movie of the year
Last night I attended a free sneak preview (this time on purpose) of Cold Mountain, a movie of which the tag line is not "The most depressing Civil War epic since Legends of the Fall," but should be. Actually, on the official scale of depressing war epics, I would rate it somewhere between The English Patient (depressing, but also renews your faith in destined, passionate love) and Legends of the Fall (so freaking depressing that I had to turn it off). Last night's viewing of Cold Mountain marked the first time in recent memory that I have openly sobbed in the theater. (I usually don't do that unless I'm at home, preferring a reserved sniffle for public outings.)

There was at least some comic relief in this movie, provided by the ever-fabulous Renee Zellweger. (Mark my words, this will be the year she gets her Oscar.) There's also a cameo by Jack White, which serves to finally shed some light on the question of "Renee Zellweger and Jack White: Whaa?" (Sadly, the question of "Nicole Kidman and Lenny Kravitz: How?" remains unanswered by this film.)

It's an amazing movie. But not amazing in that way like you want to watch it over and over again. More like amazing in that way that you may never watch it again, but you know you're a better person for having seen it once.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]