Saturday, November 01, 2003

They said it couldn't be done.
Actually, no one explicitly said that it would be impossible for me to move out of my old apartment and into a new one in just five hours, but it was more than implied in the many raised eyebrows I got when telling my story to several different people.

Yes, dear readers, I am alive! The move went more smoothly than I could have even imagined. In fact, I had everything out of my old apartment and had turned in my keys by 3:30--a full hour and a half before the deadline. The movers were actually early (EARLY!) and very, very expedient. (I highly recommend Bob's Moving Company for all your moving needs.) When we arrived at my new apartment 10 minutes before we were supposed to, not only had all of the previous tenant's stuff been removed (I still do not know when or how), but my landlord was already there and had finished cleaning the room into which I was to move my furniture. Plus, I got a brand-new fridge and stove, and he's going to come back in a few weeks and tile my shower wall and put in a new sink and toilet.

Since I didn't look at the apartment all that closely before I decided to take it, there were a few surprises waiting for me when I arrived. First, I discovered that only three of the windows in the entire apartment actually have blinds. So it seems that I can either invest in some curtains or become an exhibitionist. I think I'll go with the curtains. Unfortunately, since I currently have no money with which to buy curtains, I've had to resort to nailing some spare bedsheets over the windows in the interim. Ghetto, but it works.

Also, I was not prepared for the fact that the entire apartment smells like cat pee. I knew that the previous tenant had a cat, but I was unaware that he apparently allowed it to urinate wherever it wished. I am fairly confident that there are no remaining traces of cat pee on my floors, as I saw them being cleaned yesterday. However, the smell of cat pee still pervades pretty much every single room. So far I have tried a number of methods to get rid of the smell, including spraying copious amounts of Febreeze, burning scented candles, cooking, and re-cleaning floors I know have been cleaned just to get the benefit of the cleaning-products smell. These remedies only seem to work for a short amount of time; the more pleasant scents all eventually yield to the smell of cat pee. Last night when I talked to my mom, she asked if there was anything I wanted as a housewarming present. I'm thinking some plug-in air fresheners, potpourri and many, many scented candles might be a good request.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]