Saturday, October 18, 2003

The sky is grey, the sand is grey, and my new car is grey
Yes, it's true! I do in fact have a new car, and it is grey. (Or gray, if you're not trying to be British. But I think my car is trying to be British.) It's a 2004 Toyota Corolla. I would post a picture, but I don't really know how to do that. So you'll all have to use your imaginations, or come visit me so you can see it in person. Unlike my last car, which had a cassette player that has refused to play any sort of cassette tape for more than a year, the new car has both a CD player AND a cassette player. I am way excited about this, as it means I can play both my CDs and all those crappy mix tapes I made when I was 13. Also, unlike my old car, it does not seem to have a penchant for breaking down at stoplights. I love that!

I decided right away that my new car needs a name. This is the first new car I've ever had that I didn't have to share with every other member of my family (although my parents have already asked when they get to drive it). My last car didn't have a name. I guess my family had given up the practice of naming our cars by then. (Some of the cars we had in the past included a red station wagon called Bumpity Goat, due to the fact that when test-driving it, my mother hit a bump in the road that sent my sister flying up to the ceiling; and a blue minivan that my sister and I unimaginatively named Minnie and that my grandmother insisted on calling Minnie Pearl.)

Anyway. The color of the car reminded me of the Ani DiFranco song "Grey" (from whence I took my title above). I briefly considered naming the car Ani. Very briefly. As soon as the thought popped into my head, I knew it was wrong. This car is not an Ani.

Then I considered the actual name of the color of my car, which is "Moonshadow." "Moonshadow" reminded me of two things: 1) The towel Chase sent me earlier this year, which was in a color called "Nightshadow Rhapsody," and 2) The R.E.M. song "Nightswimming." So it appeared I could either name my car after Chase, or I could name it after Michael Stipe. Seeing as it's really kind of weird to name your car after people you actually know (no offense, of course, to Chase), I decided to name my car Michael Stipe. Or Stipe, for short. Or the Stipe-mobile, if I'm feeling wacky.

I think it fits. My car is definitely a man. Not just a man, but a gay man. Not just a gay man, but a gay man I once wanted to marry. See? How perfect is this car for me?

For the first CD ever played in my new CD player, I put in Automatic for the People and played (what else?) "Nightswimming" for the car. It seemed to like it. I think I picked a good name. Of course, just because my car is named Michael Stipe, that doesn't mean it's going to be all R.E.M., all the time. Considering that I only own that one CD, that could get pretty boring. I'm sure Michael Stipe will be fine with me playing other music as well.

Anyway, I must go now. I have to take Stipe back to the dealership so they can get him all spiffed up.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]