Monday, October 13, 2003

Double Bogey
This weekend, I staged an improptu Humphrey Bogart movie marathon when I checked out Casablanca and the original Sabrina from the library. (Must be something about the fall that makes me want to stage impromptu movie marathons.) At any rate, it was the first time I'd seen Casablanca. Ever. How is it possible for a person in this day and age to have lived for nearly 24 years and never have seen Casablanca, you ask? I just don't know.

But that question is irrelevant now because I have seen it. And I loved it. LOVED it. I've watched quite a few "legendary" movies (i.e. movies on this list) over the past few years, and with some, I really don't get what all the fuss is about. (Citizen Kane, for example, or From Here to Eternity, which I also watched this weekend for the first time.) But with Casablanca, I understood. I even knew how it ended (having watched When Harry Met Sally many a time), and I was still mesmerized. If that's not a testament to how awesome the movie is, I don't know what is.

As for Sabrina, that was one of the few movies I've seen where I liked both the original and the re-make equally. The script was pretty much the same--there were a few obvious changes in the re-make due to technological advances, of course, but other than that, it was pretty similar. (Of course, I did notice the absence of the jumping-out-of-the-taxi-to-walk cliche, further supporting Kate's and my claim that such cliches are mostly confined to current films.) Obviously, there's no comparing Audrey Hepburn to Julia Ormond. (Or to any actress, for that matter. There will never be another Audrey Hepburn. But I do agree with those who think Audrey Tautou comes pretty darn close.) I felt Greg Kinnear was much funnier in the role of David than William Holden. And I have to say, I preferred Harrison Ford to Humphrey Bogart. Obviously I like Bogey (or I wouldn't have given Casablanca such rave reviews), but he just didn't do it for me in this movie. I do wish they hadn't put Harrison Ford in those glasses, though. Tsk. Ah well, at least he didn't have the earring at that point. The earring has ruined many a Harrison Ford movie for me of late.

Anyway, my new goal is to watch most, if not all, of the 100 movies on the AFI's list. So far I've seen 35. (Most courtesy of Nancy West, Scott Fosdick, Kate or Adrian.) Only 65 more to go! This could take a while.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]