Wednesday, July 16, 2003

"It's when you, like, realize the, like, component of weirdness in a situation"
Julie, did you ever stop to think that maybe the fact that nothing in "Ironic" is actually ironic is the real irony of the song? This thought just occurred to me last week, and whoa. It is mind-boggling. What kind of games is Alanis Morissette playing with us?

Of course, I have always felt that "ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife" could reasonably be considered ironic, which refutes this theory because if Alanis Morissette were really trying to make a meta-statement about irony by singing about a bunch of things that weren't ironic, she can't just throw one ironic thing into the mix. So the song is probably just as stupid as everyone says it is. Not to mention totally to blame for the rampant worldwide misuse of the word "ironic."

Bonus: I will send one dollar to the first person who can tell me the originator of the quote I used for my title.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]