Friday, April 04, 2003
Strategory
After much debate, Bri and I have finalized our strategy for the next round of American Idol on Tuesday. In order to successfully eliminate Carmen from the competition, we are asking everyone to throw their support to Trenyce.
I know what some of you are thinking. Um, duh. That's so obvious. Why did it require any debate at all? And indeed, it was our initial reaction that formulating a strategy this week would be incredibly simple. However, once we began to fully analyze the situation, we noticed some factors that indicated this might not be the case.
Namely, because of last week's unusual situation, Trenyce's fans already know that she's in the bottom three. We considered the possibility that they might rally in full force to bring her back into the safe zone. Voters that had previously split their votes between Trenyce and other contestants might throw all of their votes to her, meaning that contestants that were close to the bottom three (Kim C., Rickey and Josh, in our estimation) could lose precious votes that would result in their being in the bottom three next week. We also imagined that this same scenario could occur with Carmen. Would her fans, or possibly even pity voters (aka the same idiots who voted for Jim and A.J. last season), come out in force to get her back in the safe zone, possibly at the expense of another contestant? We began to consider a strategy of focusing our votes on Kimberly Caldwell, who we felt was probably fourth from the bottom.
However, after I heard two women in my office talking yesterday about how they had seen something on Access Hollywood about Trenyce's shoplifting conviction and it made them not want to vote for her, we began to re-examine the seemingly inexplicable reasons why Trenyce was in the bottom three. She gave an OK performance -- not her best, but not her worst, either. It was certainly stellar compared to some of the other contestants who were safe. Her outfit was...strange, but not reaching Julia DeMato levels of annoyance. She got good praise from most of the judges, except for Simon. But then again, Simon criticized Clay and Rickey as well, and much more harshly. In short, the shoplifting incident was the only reason we could see why Trenyce had ended up at the bottom. In light of this, we figured that if Trenyce's fans had abandoned her for this reason, they weren't likely to come back and save her this week, even if she pulls out an amazing performance.
So, readers of this blog, we need you to come together and support Trenyce this week, not only in hopes of eliminating Carmen, but also because if you don't, Trenyce will almost assuredly be eliminated. I don't think Trenyce should ultimately be the American Idol, but it is not her time to go. It is Carmen's.
Yesterday on his blog, Chase expressed his sentiments that Trenyce should be ejected from the competition on the basis that she, like Corey, had had criminal charges brought against her. However, as I pointed out to him, there are some big differences between Corey and Trencye, and I'm not just talking about the fact that Trenyce is actually talented. First, Trenyce has already been arrested, convicted and served her punishment. In fact, the incident has been expunged from her records, so legally, it probably shouldn't have even been brought up. (I'm not quite sure about that, though, since I spent a good deal of time in Comm Law writing notes to my friends and imitating Sandy Davidson saying "Oh, my.") Corey's case is still open, and he's scheduled to go before the judge in a few weeks. Furthermore, Trenyce was honest and up-front with the producers about her incident from the start -- if they tried to kick her off now because of it, it would be incredibly hypocritical, and she might even be able to sue them if they did it. (Again, not sure. Can I get some help from Kimberley Locke here?) Corey was booted off not only for his criminal record but also for his dishonesty -- he acknowledged as much in his half-assed apology.
Some people seem to have the idea that contestants in this competition have to be perfect. It's not a totally unrealistic expectation, given that the name of the competition is "American Idol," and ideally, idols should not be taking advantage of the five-finger discount. But people make mistakes. And if they pay for and apologize for those mistakes, I see no reason why we should hold it against them. It's like when I was watching this special on MTV with all the presidential candidates during the primaries in 2000. Chris Connelly (God, I hate that man) was asking all the candidates if they had ever smoked marijuana. And Al Gore was like, "Well, yeah." And Chris Connelly was like, "Whaa?" And Al was like, "Um, hello? It was the '60s." He went on to say that it was a mistake and he probably shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't going to pretend like it didn't happen. Instead, he was going to use that experience to tell people why they shouldn't use drugs. Or something like that. It was a long time ago. Anyway, that's when I decided I was going to vote for Al Gore. (I pretty much was going to anyway, but that's when I REALLY decided). It's totally unrealistic to expect public figures to be absolutely perfect, so I have much more respect for those who are honest and up front about their pasts than those who try to hide the mistakes that they've made.
Wow, I apologize for that lengthy tangent. Back to the strategy. Although our main focus this week will be on Trenyce, Bri and I have decided to keep the Kims on back-up in case Trenyce's fans do in fact rally to support her. Which Kimberly will become our primary back-up will depend on the quality of song choice, outfit and general performance on Tuesday night. Just a guess, but we're expecting Kim L. to fare better than Kim C. Plus, there's little doubt that fans of Kimberley L. are going to try to get her back on the couch. (We've pegged the reason for her downfall on Wednesday as that unflattering outfit she wore on Tuesday. As long as she steers clear of spaghetti straps, she should be fine.)
So here's the plan: Vote for Trenyce. If her line is busy, vote for Kimberly C. If her line is busy (it won't be), vote for Kimberley L. I always like to throw in a few votes for Clay for good measure (and Bri does the same for Rickey), but that's up to you.
Got it? Good. I don't want to have to type all of this again.
After much debate, Bri and I have finalized our strategy for the next round of American Idol on Tuesday. In order to successfully eliminate Carmen from the competition, we are asking everyone to throw their support to Trenyce.
I know what some of you are thinking. Um, duh. That's so obvious. Why did it require any debate at all? And indeed, it was our initial reaction that formulating a strategy this week would be incredibly simple. However, once we began to fully analyze the situation, we noticed some factors that indicated this might not be the case.
Namely, because of last week's unusual situation, Trenyce's fans already know that she's in the bottom three. We considered the possibility that they might rally in full force to bring her back into the safe zone. Voters that had previously split their votes between Trenyce and other contestants might throw all of their votes to her, meaning that contestants that were close to the bottom three (Kim C., Rickey and Josh, in our estimation) could lose precious votes that would result in their being in the bottom three next week. We also imagined that this same scenario could occur with Carmen. Would her fans, or possibly even pity voters (aka the same idiots who voted for Jim and A.J. last season), come out in force to get her back in the safe zone, possibly at the expense of another contestant? We began to consider a strategy of focusing our votes on Kimberly Caldwell, who we felt was probably fourth from the bottom.
However, after I heard two women in my office talking yesterday about how they had seen something on Access Hollywood about Trenyce's shoplifting conviction and it made them not want to vote for her, we began to re-examine the seemingly inexplicable reasons why Trenyce was in the bottom three. She gave an OK performance -- not her best, but not her worst, either. It was certainly stellar compared to some of the other contestants who were safe. Her outfit was...strange, but not reaching Julia DeMato levels of annoyance. She got good praise from most of the judges, except for Simon. But then again, Simon criticized Clay and Rickey as well, and much more harshly. In short, the shoplifting incident was the only reason we could see why Trenyce had ended up at the bottom. In light of this, we figured that if Trenyce's fans had abandoned her for this reason, they weren't likely to come back and save her this week, even if she pulls out an amazing performance.
So, readers of this blog, we need you to come together and support Trenyce this week, not only in hopes of eliminating Carmen, but also because if you don't, Trenyce will almost assuredly be eliminated. I don't think Trenyce should ultimately be the American Idol, but it is not her time to go. It is Carmen's.
Yesterday on his blog, Chase expressed his sentiments that Trenyce should be ejected from the competition on the basis that she, like Corey, had had criminal charges brought against her. However, as I pointed out to him, there are some big differences between Corey and Trencye, and I'm not just talking about the fact that Trenyce is actually talented. First, Trenyce has already been arrested, convicted and served her punishment. In fact, the incident has been expunged from her records, so legally, it probably shouldn't have even been brought up. (I'm not quite sure about that, though, since I spent a good deal of time in Comm Law writing notes to my friends and imitating Sandy Davidson saying "Oh, my.") Corey's case is still open, and he's scheduled to go before the judge in a few weeks. Furthermore, Trenyce was honest and up-front with the producers about her incident from the start -- if they tried to kick her off now because of it, it would be incredibly hypocritical, and she might even be able to sue them if they did it. (Again, not sure. Can I get some help from Kimberley Locke here?) Corey was booted off not only for his criminal record but also for his dishonesty -- he acknowledged as much in his half-assed apology.
Some people seem to have the idea that contestants in this competition have to be perfect. It's not a totally unrealistic expectation, given that the name of the competition is "American Idol," and ideally, idols should not be taking advantage of the five-finger discount. But people make mistakes. And if they pay for and apologize for those mistakes, I see no reason why we should hold it against them. It's like when I was watching this special on MTV with all the presidential candidates during the primaries in 2000. Chris Connelly (God, I hate that man) was asking all the candidates if they had ever smoked marijuana. And Al Gore was like, "Well, yeah." And Chris Connelly was like, "Whaa?" And Al was like, "Um, hello? It was the '60s." He went on to say that it was a mistake and he probably shouldn't have done it, but he wasn't going to pretend like it didn't happen. Instead, he was going to use that experience to tell people why they shouldn't use drugs. Or something like that. It was a long time ago. Anyway, that's when I decided I was going to vote for Al Gore. (I pretty much was going to anyway, but that's when I REALLY decided). It's totally unrealistic to expect public figures to be absolutely perfect, so I have much more respect for those who are honest and up front about their pasts than those who try to hide the mistakes that they've made.
Wow, I apologize for that lengthy tangent. Back to the strategy. Although our main focus this week will be on Trenyce, Bri and I have decided to keep the Kims on back-up in case Trenyce's fans do in fact rally to support her. Which Kimberly will become our primary back-up will depend on the quality of song choice, outfit and general performance on Tuesday night. Just a guess, but we're expecting Kim L. to fare better than Kim C. Plus, there's little doubt that fans of Kimberley L. are going to try to get her back on the couch. (We've pegged the reason for her downfall on Wednesday as that unflattering outfit she wore on Tuesday. As long as she steers clear of spaghetti straps, she should be fine.)
So here's the plan: Vote for Trenyce. If her line is busy, vote for Kimberly C. If her line is busy (it won't be), vote for Kimberley L. I always like to throw in a few votes for Clay for good measure (and Bri does the same for Rickey), but that's up to you.
Got it? Good. I don't want to have to type all of this again.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]