Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Smoooooooothie of the Week
I have always been a fan of smoothies. To me, blended fruit just seems very sublime for some reason. Plus, there is the lure of putting whole fruit and juice in the blender and watching it transform before your very eyes. It's almost magical.

For some reason, though, I did not own a blender until last year. I purchased it for the sole purpose of making a smoothie that I had seen in Real Simple. This was the beginning of a lifelong love affair with the smoothie. To support my new addiction, my wonderful roommate Diana bought me "The Smoothies Deck," a deck of cards with smoothie recipes and beautiful, well-lit pictures of said smoothies. There are all kinds of smoothies in the smoothies deck, from healthy fruit recipes to alcoholic recipes such as sangria (which is very, very good...just ask Kate) to dessert recipes with chocolate, ice cream and other good things.

My smoothie addiction waned during the winter due to the lack of available fruit. But now it is spring, and the fruit is back--and so are the smoothies. I have decided to pick a healthy, fruit-based smoothie randomly out of the deck to enjoy each week, so I thought I would share these recipes with you, my readers, so you can experience the wonder that is the smoothie. I will also include my review of the smoothie so you'll know which ones to stay away from if you decide to go out and purchase your own smoothies deck (which I highly recommend).

This week's smoothie: Planet Pineapple*

1/2 cup fresh pineapple, frozen**
1 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

*Makes one smoothie
**You don't have to freeze your fruit, but the deck recommends it. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

Smoothie rating: 8. Overall, a very tasty smoothie. Much like a pina colada. It does have the potential to be too sweet. And chopping up the fresh pineapple was a pain in the ass--but probably worth it. I doubt the smoothie would taste as good with canned pineapple. However, if you're short on time, I think it would be OK to substitute canned for fresh.

Stay tuned next week for a brand-new smoothie! Tomorrow: So much for subjects (water, towels, smoothies) to which everyone can relate! The blog shifts back into American Idol mode as we prepare to eject Carmen "Machine Gun" Rasmusen from the competition. Remember everyone, vote for Trenyce tonight! (For the full strategy, see Friday's entry.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]