Tuesday, April 15, 2003
Have blog, get presents
When I wrote about my funky towel last week, I was in no way trying to solicit towels from my friends. But Chase took pity on my plight anyway, and I received a lovely caustic and sensual "Night Shadow Rhapsody" (aka purple) towel in the mail yesterday. Of course, after I wrote about the funky towel, I realized just how dire the situation had gotten and went to Target myself a few days later to purchase a new towel. So now I have not one, but two new towels, bringing the towel total to three. Three! This means not only can I rotate the towels each laundry day, but I can also have a spare clean towel for guests so they don't have to bring their own towels. Still, if you're coming to visit me, don't hold out for a washcloth. I don't do washcloths, prefering instead to splash my face with water. It makes me feel like Rebecca Gayheart in those early-90s Noxema commercials.
Another update: My boycott of the vending machine lasted all of two days, neither of which count because they were Saturday and Sunday, when I was nowhere near the vending machine. That's right, I caved in to the pressure of the vending machine yesterday. What can I say? I eat breakfast at 6:30, and my lunch break is not until noon. That's an awful long time to last on just a bowl of Special K. If I don't have a snack, I get so hungry that I actually feel sick, and then when it is time for me to eat, I can't. Today I brought a packet of Gushers to allay my M&M's cravings, which I managed to polish off before it was even 9:00. I'm beginning to crave the M&M's just writing about them...
Even though I write about reality TV a great deal on this blog, I usually don't write anything about the Real World/Road Rules [Product-Placed] Battle of the Sexes because it is such an inconsequential show that they don't even cover it on TWoP. (My friend Sallie's boyfriend, a former film student, thinks it is the best show on television. We're not really sure why.) Anyway, I feel that the time has come for me to say something about Battle of the Sexes, or more specifically, the product-placed Ion Lifesaver. First of all, the Ion Lifesaver is not even good product placement because it doesn't include the name of the company. I'm sure we can all figure out that the name refers to the Saturn Ion, thanks to the Saturn Ion commercials at every commercial break. But you never know. Some people are stupid.
The purpose of the Ion Lifesaver is that the person who holds it can save themselves or someone else from going home. For the first several weeks, the Ion didn't actually save anyone. It was just symbolic, which is OK...but what's the point? Now that they're getting down to the last few weeks of the competition, the Ion is being forced to serve its actual purpose of saving people. And everyone is freaking out! Last week, when Shane gave Genesis the Ion after the girls had voted her off, everyone was like, What the heck is Shane doing?? Um, I would say he's using the Ion for its intended purpose. Of course, if someone is actually saved, the Inner Circles have to go back and deliberate about who they're going to kick off. Shouldn't there be some kind of Ion policy that if the person you voted off gets the Ion, then the person with the next lowest score should go home? Someone really should have thought this Ion thing through a little more.
Unfortunately, there was no Ion to save Rickey Smith. Bri and I were so disillusioned with last week's American Idol results that we can't even bring ourselves to think of an anti-Carmen strategy. Short of a major cable/power/phone outage across the state of Utah, I really don't see anything that can end her reign of terror. Not even bleating her way through Blondie could get her kicked off the show! It's hopeless, people! Like Nikki McKibbin (not a word, Doug) she has evil forces on her side that we are not strong enough to resist. I personally plan to just sit here and wait for her inevitable crappy single to start hitting the airwaves.
When I wrote about my funky towel last week, I was in no way trying to solicit towels from my friends. But Chase took pity on my plight anyway, and I received a lovely caustic and sensual "Night Shadow Rhapsody" (aka purple) towel in the mail yesterday. Of course, after I wrote about the funky towel, I realized just how dire the situation had gotten and went to Target myself a few days later to purchase a new towel. So now I have not one, but two new towels, bringing the towel total to three. Three! This means not only can I rotate the towels each laundry day, but I can also have a spare clean towel for guests so they don't have to bring their own towels. Still, if you're coming to visit me, don't hold out for a washcloth. I don't do washcloths, prefering instead to splash my face with water. It makes me feel like Rebecca Gayheart in those early-90s Noxema commercials.
Another update: My boycott of the vending machine lasted all of two days, neither of which count because they were Saturday and Sunday, when I was nowhere near the vending machine. That's right, I caved in to the pressure of the vending machine yesterday. What can I say? I eat breakfast at 6:30, and my lunch break is not until noon. That's an awful long time to last on just a bowl of Special K. If I don't have a snack, I get so hungry that I actually feel sick, and then when it is time for me to eat, I can't. Today I brought a packet of Gushers to allay my M&M's cravings, which I managed to polish off before it was even 9:00. I'm beginning to crave the M&M's just writing about them...
Even though I write about reality TV a great deal on this blog, I usually don't write anything about the Real World/Road Rules [Product-Placed] Battle of the Sexes because it is such an inconsequential show that they don't even cover it on TWoP. (My friend Sallie's boyfriend, a former film student, thinks it is the best show on television. We're not really sure why.) Anyway, I feel that the time has come for me to say something about Battle of the Sexes, or more specifically, the product-placed Ion Lifesaver. First of all, the Ion Lifesaver is not even good product placement because it doesn't include the name of the company. I'm sure we can all figure out that the name refers to the Saturn Ion, thanks to the Saturn Ion commercials at every commercial break. But you never know. Some people are stupid.
The purpose of the Ion Lifesaver is that the person who holds it can save themselves or someone else from going home. For the first several weeks, the Ion didn't actually save anyone. It was just symbolic, which is OK...but what's the point? Now that they're getting down to the last few weeks of the competition, the Ion is being forced to serve its actual purpose of saving people. And everyone is freaking out! Last week, when Shane gave Genesis the Ion after the girls had voted her off, everyone was like, What the heck is Shane doing?? Um, I would say he's using the Ion for its intended purpose. Of course, if someone is actually saved, the Inner Circles have to go back and deliberate about who they're going to kick off. Shouldn't there be some kind of Ion policy that if the person you voted off gets the Ion, then the person with the next lowest score should go home? Someone really should have thought this Ion thing through a little more.
Unfortunately, there was no Ion to save Rickey Smith. Bri and I were so disillusioned with last week's American Idol results that we can't even bring ourselves to think of an anti-Carmen strategy. Short of a major cable/power/phone outage across the state of Utah, I really don't see anything that can end her reign of terror. Not even bleating her way through Blondie could get her kicked off the show! It's hopeless, people! Like Nikki McKibbin (not a word, Doug) she has evil forces on her side that we are not strong enough to resist. I personally plan to just sit here and wait for her inevitable crappy single to start hitting the airwaves.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]