Friday, January 03, 2003
Mommie dearest
Tonight I was at Target with my dad getting a microwave and looking for a table for my new kitchen. (Update from yesterday: Yes, I got the dream studio apartment! Yaaay!) Anyway, in the home furnishings aisle, I noticed a woman struggling with one of those folding bookcases. As I myself had struggled with the exact same item mere months ago and been helped by a kind stranger (and a cute one, no less), I decided to give the woman a hand. As we were lifting the bookcase into her cart, she says, "Oh, are you pregnant?"
I was horrified. Horrified. I gave shocked little laugh and said no very quickly. At this point, any normal person would have apologized profusely or at least made up some stupid excuse (as in, "I like to ask all women that before they help me lift heavy items, just in case"). But no, this woman says, "Really? Because you look like you're pregnant."
Oh. My. God. Look, I know I haven't really been working out lately, and I can barely remember the last time I did a stomach crunch. And it's true that I had just eaten a big meal, so maybe my stomach was sticking out just a little bit. But still, I was appalled. Needless to say, I have resolved to start doing stomach crunches again, stat.
Tonight I was at Target with my dad getting a microwave and looking for a table for my new kitchen. (Update from yesterday: Yes, I got the dream studio apartment! Yaaay!) Anyway, in the home furnishings aisle, I noticed a woman struggling with one of those folding bookcases. As I myself had struggled with the exact same item mere months ago and been helped by a kind stranger (and a cute one, no less), I decided to give the woman a hand. As we were lifting the bookcase into her cart, she says, "Oh, are you pregnant?"
I was horrified. Horrified. I gave shocked little laugh and said no very quickly. At this point, any normal person would have apologized profusely or at least made up some stupid excuse (as in, "I like to ask all women that before they help me lift heavy items, just in case"). But no, this woman says, "Really? Because you look like you're pregnant."
Oh. My. God. Look, I know I haven't really been working out lately, and I can barely remember the last time I did a stomach crunch. And it's true that I had just eaten a big meal, so maybe my stomach was sticking out just a little bit. But still, I was appalled. Needless to say, I have resolved to start doing stomach crunches again, stat.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]