Thursday, January 02, 2003
The joys of apartment-hunting
I decided to actually get off my ass today and try to do something with my miserable life other than watching Felicity and eating cookie dough. What I did was try to look for an apartment, as my current lease is up at the end of the week.
I first went to my dream apartment, which I first mentioned on this blog back in July (check the archives). They had a nice, if small, studio with hardwood floors and a cute, if slightly sketchy, old bathtub. I decided to apply for this apartment, which proved just as difficult as I thought it would, especially because the lady at the office informed me that I couldn't have a co-signer if I wasn't a full-time student. However, she said that if I had good credit and a good leasing history, I should be OK. Then she asked me if I could pay the rent, to which I should have just said yes. But instead I thought it best to babble on and on about how I planned to pay the rent: "Well, right now I have a part-time job at Pottery Barn, and my parents are going to help me out until I can find another part-time job, or a full-time job, or actually if I stay on at Pottery Barn for a month or two, I can be full-time..." I think it went on from there. At this point, I had no idea what I was actually saying, I just know she was looking at me like, "Oh, God," which was not a good sign.
After this, I called my dad to fret about whether or not I would be accepted to this apartment. I said, "Well, if I can't find anything, I'm thinking I should just come home," to which he replied, "Don't do that!" I was taken aback. Apparently my parents are kicking me out of the nest. All my years of saying, "You couldn't pay me to move back home!" have finally taken their toll.
Anyway, we decided that I should try to look at some more apartments just in case. I called one ad, where I got a recording that said, "If you are a swinging adult who likes to have wild parties, this apartment is not for you!" However, when I drove all the way downtown to get a key so I could check out this not-for-swingers apartment, I found out that it had already been rented. They should really change the message.
On my way back home, I stopped to look at another apartment. This one was on the first floor, fairly big, with hardwood floors and rooms painted fun colors like turquoise and red (and also unfun colors like coral). However, I was disconcerted by the presence of several mousetraps in the kitchen. I asked the girl who was showing me around if they had a problem with mice, and she laughed and said (totally unsarcastically), "Oh no, those are just for dramatic effect!" Good luck renting that apartment, lady.
Tomorrow, I'm supposed to hear back about the dream studio apartment (keep your fingers crossed for me), and I'm also going to scout more possibilites. But for now, it's time to get back to the cookie-dough-and-Felicity routine.
I decided to actually get off my ass today and try to do something with my miserable life other than watching Felicity and eating cookie dough. What I did was try to look for an apartment, as my current lease is up at the end of the week.
I first went to my dream apartment, which I first mentioned on this blog back in July (check the archives). They had a nice, if small, studio with hardwood floors and a cute, if slightly sketchy, old bathtub. I decided to apply for this apartment, which proved just as difficult as I thought it would, especially because the lady at the office informed me that I couldn't have a co-signer if I wasn't a full-time student. However, she said that if I had good credit and a good leasing history, I should be OK. Then she asked me if I could pay the rent, to which I should have just said yes. But instead I thought it best to babble on and on about how I planned to pay the rent: "Well, right now I have a part-time job at Pottery Barn, and my parents are going to help me out until I can find another part-time job, or a full-time job, or actually if I stay on at Pottery Barn for a month or two, I can be full-time..." I think it went on from there. At this point, I had no idea what I was actually saying, I just know she was looking at me like, "Oh, God," which was not a good sign.
After this, I called my dad to fret about whether or not I would be accepted to this apartment. I said, "Well, if I can't find anything, I'm thinking I should just come home," to which he replied, "Don't do that!" I was taken aback. Apparently my parents are kicking me out of the nest. All my years of saying, "You couldn't pay me to move back home!" have finally taken their toll.
Anyway, we decided that I should try to look at some more apartments just in case. I called one ad, where I got a recording that said, "If you are a swinging adult who likes to have wild parties, this apartment is not for you!" However, when I drove all the way downtown to get a key so I could check out this not-for-swingers apartment, I found out that it had already been rented. They should really change the message.
On my way back home, I stopped to look at another apartment. This one was on the first floor, fairly big, with hardwood floors and rooms painted fun colors like turquoise and red (and also unfun colors like coral). However, I was disconcerted by the presence of several mousetraps in the kitchen. I asked the girl who was showing me around if they had a problem with mice, and she laughed and said (totally unsarcastically), "Oh no, those are just for dramatic effect!" Good luck renting that apartment, lady.
Tomorrow, I'm supposed to hear back about the dream studio apartment (keep your fingers crossed for me), and I'm also going to scout more possibilites. But for now, it's time to get back to the cookie-dough-and-Felicity routine.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]